Options

Dialog.Input

NavTimeNavTime Member Posts: 18
edited 2009-10-09 in NAV Three Tier
I want to prompt the user to enter a date so I can use that date later on when pressing a button. Can I use a a dialog box using input? If so, does anybody know of a better way in accomplishing this?

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    Could you tell us a little more info.

Usually when input is required, you request the info at the beginning of the process.
    You probably need a processing report and add the input on the request dialog.

Also asking users for input during transaction is bad idea because it locks everybody else out.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    Could you tell us a little more info.

Usually when input is required, you request the info at the beginning of the process.
    You probably need a processing report and add the input on the request dialog.

Also asking users for input during transaction is bad idea because it locks everybody else out.

Don't think a process report is the best approach. Also, it's not during transaction. It's before the transaction that I'm prompting the user to enter a date. I want to pass that date to a codeunit, and use that date during posting a recurring journal.
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    A processing report is what std Nav uses for any processing (calling CU) that it does. The user enters any prerequisite data in the option tab.

Why do you think it's not the best approach?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    ara3n wrote:
    A processing report is what std Nav uses for any processing (calling CU) that it does. The user enters any prerequisite data in the option tab.

Why do you think it's not the best approach?

Because it requires an object (in this case a report) to be created. It's a waste of resource as compared to using a dialog.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Presonally, I do not like the Input dialogs. I never used it. You can add textbox to the form from where the function is started, or you can add new report/form which could be used as input dialog dynamically instead input dialog. Yes, it is one additional object, but it will solve more than it will cost you...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,089
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• Options
    Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    At most of the customers I have one form that can be used to enter a date.

A form is very cheap, only 14 euro's.