fdb/fbk - what version of NAV?

danman_dkdanman_dk Member Posts: 27
quick (/dumb) question:

I received a database (fbk) from one of our customers. Is there a way to tell what version of NAV it is from?

They 'think' it is 4.0...SP something...

Do I not risk their file if I open it in a newer version?

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Just ask them to open Navision, click Help --> About and tell you the version. No thinking involved :D
  • danman_dkdanman_dk Member Posts: 27
    thanks for the quick reply matttrax.

I guess I mean in a more general sense...like if you have a bunch of fdb's lying around - can one check what version they are?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I never found such a way. If I have .FDB yes,. there is version no. in the file, but for FBK... because you can restore the FBKs in all versions and it is not checking the version somehow, I assume that there is no info like this.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    I don't think the version is a file attribute, so it would be trial and error. Open it in 4.0 and if you can open it without an error message it's 4.0. If it's a newer version it will give you an error message saying that the database has been converted to a newer version. If it's an older version, you will get a message that it is an older version, with the option to convert it. There are two confirmation messages before it actually starts converting to the newer version, so that can't "just happen".
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    For FDB version look at this article: http://gotcal.com/2008/4/16/nav-launche ... b%27s.aspx
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    DenSter wrote:
    There are two confirmation messages before it actually starts converting to the newer version, so that can't "just happen".

Or your computer can start crawling, you can click in frustration, the computer can cache your mouse clicks, and you can convert a database without ever seeing a confirmation.

That was a sad day. #-o
    matttrax wrote:
    Or your computer can start crawling, you can click in frustration, the computer can cache your mouse clicks, and you can convert a database without ever seeing a confirmation.
    Similar things have happened to me too, and they are very frustrating ](*,)
  • danman_dkdanman_dk Member Posts: 27
    OK. Thanks!

I guess I am a bit relieved to hear there is no quick solution - I was afraid that I would appear totally ignorant :-k

For now, I just make a duplicate of the fbk and restore it into an empty database...
    Or... you could call your customer and ask them to open Help, About and send you the screenshot, like Matt suggested. I don't know how big that database is, but I doubt that restoring it can beat a 2 minute phone call.

By the way, ignorance is easily fixed by asking the right questions :mrgreen: