License

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Dear All,

I have got two database on the same server. For some reason when I am updating the license of 1 database the other db's license is being updated alone. The same thing happens wherever I am updating the license from. Does anyone has got any idea why this may be happening?

Comments

• bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    The license is stored in the master database and applies to all NAV databases on that SQL instance.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.
  • matteo_montanarimatteo_montanari Member Posts: 189
    bbrown wrote:
    The license is stored in the master database and applies to all NAV databases on that SQL instance.

I agree with bbrown.

If you want a "per database License" on SQL you need to purchase granules:
    2,020 Per Database license

And enable:
    File -> Database -> Alter -> Integration -> "Save License in Database"
    But this step ONLY if you purchased the granule and loaded the new license on SQL.

Matteo
    Reno Sistemi Navision Developer
  • sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
    Thanks alot for your prompt replies!! :)
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    It does this because you're only supposed to use one license with one database. By storing the license in the master database, NAV can keep track of all of the users that log into any NAV database. Since user count is where the license costs the most they want to make sure you're not getting around the system.
  • bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    matttrax wrote:
    It does this because you're only supposed to use one license with one database. By storing the license in the master database, NAV can keep track of all of the users that log into any NAV database. Since user count is where the license costs the most they want to make sure you're not getting around the system.

Yes. NAV is licensed as a system. That means one production database. If you need multiple database that means multiple licenses. (there are some special licensing arrangements, but you would need to tlk with your partner about those. I'm not familiar with the details)

The intent of the "License in Database" granule was to suppport ASP operations that host several client databases on a common server.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.