A/P invoice on foreign currency G/L account

alsolalsol Member Posts: 243
Hello,

In some cases it is needed to post an A/P invoice line to a G/L account which is setup in foregin currency. Posting works without problems but there is no foreign currency amount on the G/L entry. I know that foreign currency on G/L accounts should only be used for bank accounts but in this case we need it also for other accounts, as we need to run FX valuation at the end of each month.

Does anyone has an idea how to solve this? Probably we need to adjust the posting code unit to write the foreign currency amount into the G/L entry. Do you see any problems with that?

Best regards

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    The subledger (Vendor Ledger Entry) contains both currency and you can run report

Adjust Exchange Rates to adjust it at AP level.

Have you looked at that?

As for your suggestion, you are modifying the system and using and existing field/feature for your modification.
    Usually I add new fields so that existing functionality might be used in future, or NAV will change this functionality that will break your mod.

I do like the idea of having a third Amount in GL called Source Amount Currency and currency code.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • alsolalsol Member Posts: 243
    Thank you for your answer.

The subledger does not help because if I post the invoice on more than one account I would need to split the subledger as well. And the exchange rate adjustment adjusts the A/P side (which means how much money in LCY do I need to pay the invoice), but the entry from the invoice is some kind of short term asset which should be adjusted as well.

Even though the Source Currency and Source Currency Amount would not help in this case, I like it too. Especially for bigger companies which need to do an Intercompany Reconciliation in foreign currency.

In this case I think I will try the adjustment with an option in G/L setup where it can be disabled very easy.