Auto load text files JobQueue? NAS? Nothing Works so far

eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
I need to import a text file every morning at 6am (I am using NAV 2009)

I installed NAS and was going to schedule using JobQueue. I created a report that called a dataport. However, I received errors in the JobQueue log stating you cannot call dataports with NAS.

So - then I decided I would use an XMLPORT since an XMLPort can pick up text files in 2009. (I know you can't run them in the Classic client, but they run great in RTC). Anyway ... so I tried that. And that did not work either.

Has any scheduled a job (in any fashion) to import a text file automatically?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• nromainnromain Member Posts: 57
    Create a codeunit to launch your xmlport then call the codeunit from the NAS (with single instance property). Or make a report :P
  • eagle_eyeeagle_eye Member Posts: 130
    I did create a report to call the XMLPort. The XMLPort is loading a TXT file not an XML file.

Does anyone know if this is an issue if I don't run it through the RTC? It seems the only way the XMLPort works with a text file is in the RTC.

Basically I am trying to figure out if I am trying to get a scenario to work that just will never work (i.e. having the JobQueue scheudle a report to run that is trying to run the XMLPort with a text file).

I know the XMLPort works - I ran it sucessfull manually through the RTC. What I am unsure of is if I can schedule it through NAS.

Has anyone auto scheduled a text file to import successfully in any way?
  • nromainnromain Member Posts: 57
    In fact, i said to create a report to read the .txt file not to launch the xmlport.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    XMLPort import only XML files under CC or NAS. It could import txt file only under RTC...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    I can use a dataport no problem. However, you cannot schedule a report to run that calls a dataport. "You cannot use C/AL variables of type DATAPORT when running the Application Server"

I realize that you can only run an XMLPort for txt files in the RTC.

So ... is there anyway to schedule an import of a txt file - or is NAV incapable of this task with the toolset ity has?
    nromain wrote:
    In fact, i said to create a report to read the .txt file not to launch the xmlport.

?? Not sure I am following the create a report to read the text file.