Turning on Lot Specific Tracking on an item with item ledger

welfordmwelfordm Member Posts: 9
My Navision 3.7 customer has over 100,000 inventory items and would like to turn on Lot Specific Tracking for a portion of them. When I click on the Lot Specific Tracking Boolean field the error message states that there must be no item ledger entries on this item.

I realise that I am changing the costing method to Lot specific by doing this and I really do not want to create new items for each one that I want to make Lot specific.

Has anyone gone through this process or can somone give me useful advice?
Matthew Welford

Comments

• jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    I have done this. It's not too hard but you must be careful not to miss anything. My basic approach was to assign a single lot number to each item (actually item/variant) and then update all the history for that item to include that lot number.

Since Navision allows non lot controlled items to have negative inventory balances but lot controlled items may not go negative, it is important to chenc that the item does not have any negative balance (by variant and location). Also to simplify matters I required that, for the items involved, there be no sales lines shipped but not invoiced (or return quantity received but not invoiced); similar restrictions were made on purchase lines and transfer lines (shipped not received).

The main table to update is, of course, the item ledger table but you must also build item entry relation and value entry relation records.
  • welfordmwelfordm Member Posts: 9
    That's a really ingenious idea. Just to clarify I assume that you updated the existing item ledger entry records for each item with a lot number e.g. A1. Did you ensure that the lot numbers matched the in and out transactions or did you just use one lot number per item.

If you just have one lot for all posted item ledger entries there seems no need to rebuild the value entries or record relations or am I missing something?
    Matthew Welford
  • jreynoldsjreynolds Member Posts: 175
    Yes I had one lot number per item and if variants are used for the item then you must have a unique lot number for each item/variant combination.

There's nothing that needs to be done with value entries since lot number does not appear in that table. The item entry relation and value entry relation tables must be built. The item entry relation records link shipments and receipts to item ledger entries and do not even exist for non-lot tracked items but must exist for lot tracked items. The value entry relation table creates a similar link between invoices and credit memos to value entry records.
  • ylahotiylahoti Member Posts: 2
    How do we build these two tables.....