Made to order manufacturing

bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
Hi guys,

I am trying to find an appropriate way to record made-to-order production in NAV.

Here is some detail: let us suggest the product is a cabinet. The design is unchanged (material, color, number of drawers...), but it can be produced with or without wheels (depending on the customer's requirement), i.e. some minor parameters can be changed. If we change the number of drawers, then we make a new item. But what do we do if for a specific client we just want to remove the wheels. Is there a way to reflect this in NAV using one item only?

Or if the product is a lamp, one of the "flowing" parameters is the length of the power cable. We do not have standard lengths, hence we do not create a new item.

Any ideas are more than welcome.
Boris
Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
the floor is concrete.

Answers

• vanrofivanrofi Member Posts: 272
    Standard not that easy....

You might work with the Production BOM version, where you create a new version for the cabinet without the wheels and then refresh the production order.

On the sales order you cannot define the Production BOM version to be used, but once you created the production order you could select other Production BOM version (show this field on production order line (standard not visible)

Only after refresh the Component need, the component list corresponds the selected component list of the selected version.

You might create some link with this Production BOM version and Pick that up on creating the production order, but as this is a complex matter, decent analyse is mandatory.

Good luck
  • bstoyanobstoyano Member Posts: 134
    Yes, I shall try this. What bothers me is that I will have "almost" identical articles under the same item (Theseus paradox applies here :)) And this will somewhat disturb the costing. But thanks a lot for the idea.
    Boris
    Please, do not frighten the ostrich,
    the floor is concrete.