Translate DK -> W1

danman_dkdanman_dk Member Posts: 27
hi all,

I spent most of the day yesterday reading mibuso, partnersource, various whitepapers, ADG, etc. on how localization works in NAV.
(I understand the difference between localizing and translating).

While I am researching the topic, I thought I'd write here as well to hear what you guys would recommend?

Short version (let me know if you need more details):
- we make a solution based on, for now, NAV 5.0
- our objects are all in Danish
- we'd like to offer our product in English
a) same danish functionaltiy, but for english speaking clients in DK (translation)
b) remove danish specific functionality and offer a W1 version of our product to other countries (localization)

I have experimented with exporting an object list .txt file and adding a 1033 line and importing that back into NAV...seems to be working =D>

...but if we have thousands of objects, there must be an easier way to do this?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

BR
Daniel

Comments

• JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    Hi
    I use one times some tools to add new language for very big module (>3000 obj). I can't give you this tool because it's not mine, but maybe it is not so hard to create something like that.

how it works :
    1. For first you have to export language file from menu/translate/export (select object before)
    2. Create some dataport to import translate file for processing
    3. Add another language to this data by Nav(nice to have some funciton that find all the caption exactly like one you change and do change it too - so you have less work)
    4. Export this data with similar dataport like importing
    5. Menu/translate/import

Unfortunatly translate file is not dataport friendly format.
  • danman_dkdanman_dk Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the reply JedrzejT.

I think maybe I am making it more complicated than it needs to be.

Basically, I have my exported text file with all our objects filtered. In the text file I can see that there are many objects that have both language codes (in my case, 1030 and 1033). However, there are going to be many instances where we only have the 1030 :|

For example:

T15-F2-P2818-L30:Name
    T15-F2-P8629-A1030-L999:Navn
    T15-F2-P8629-A1033-L999:Name
    T15-F50012-P2818-L30:Klientnavn
    T15-F50012-P8629-A1030-L999:Klientnavn

I was hoping there was an easy way to get an overview of 'missing translations'? Then be able to view a standard translation and/or be able to add it manually.

Thanks
    -d-
  • reijermolenaarreijermolenaar Member Posts: 256
    Hi,

With the Object Manager you can get an overview of all missing captions.

You can download it here:
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=826
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Hi reijermolenaar!

Just installed Object Manager and I must say even within the first few minutes of poking around in the tool, you have saved me hours of work! It is exactly what I was missing and exactly what I spent hours looking for!

Thanks to you and thanks to mibuso for helping us all out =D> =D>
    You are welcome!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    Hi again,

Just one last quick question:

If I have an object that has Missing Caption flagged (I've filtered on this field), but Calculated Caption is empty. Is there not a way to manually enter text directly into the Caption field?

Thanks again :)
    You can enter a text in the caption field in the lines...

Do you mean in the textbox in the status section in the bottom of the screen?
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    ooops, sorry...you are right :oops:

I must have been trying something else at the time...

Thanks for the quick reply =D>
    I read you first post and you say that you have to translate thousands of objects.
    Then it could be useful to create some rules. You can read in the manual have to do that.

I would love to hear if you have any improvements or suggestions when you are ready with your translation!
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    yes, I have created many new rules for terminology that will be used over and over again.

...but for those cases where we have only one or two instances, it's easier to just type it in :D

I'll defintely let you know if I come across any ideas for improvement!
    I've been translating bit by bit over the past week or so and after each chunk I export the new text file and import it into Object Designer - so far, everything seems to be working \:D/

However, yesterday (and again, this morning) the import/export buttons in Object Manager stopped working? I click on the buttons, but no dialog box opens?

So now I can't export my translation work #-o

Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    Maybe there is something wrong with the common dialog control.

Does the ex- and import function work on Form 600 – “IC Dimensions”?
    And can you compile codeunit 412 – “Common Dialog Management” and codeunit 91842 – “OM - Common Dialog”?
    Reijer Molenaar
    Object Manager
    hmmm, you're right. They're busted :(

Import/export on Form 600 – “IC Dimensions”

codeunit 412 – “Common Dialog Management”
    codeunit 91842 (you mean 91824, ya?) – “OM - Common Dialog”
    come to think of it...yesterday, I uninstalled a verrrrry old version of NLW (Navision Localization Workshop). It said something about a shared ocx file (remember those old dialog boxes)?

I found the comdlg32.ocx file in my client folder again.

Have you experienced this before?