Change Tracking Code?

dayakardayakar Member Posts: 68
Hi all,

Due to the wrong setup in the Item tracking code there were costing issues, found that it was a setup issue.
here is my previous post
http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=37251&p=182119#p182119

Now is there any procedure to change the tracking code on the item master with already existing ledger entries.

Answers

• SumitSumit Member Posts: 58
    dayakar wrote:
    Now is there any procedure to change the tracking code on the item master with already existing ledger entries.
    As far as i know, there is no such procedure.
    Take the help of your tech. consultant to comment the code (restriction).
    change the tracking,
    remove the comment.
    Obviously, this would not be effective on previous data.

Well, its impact on costing ?? :?
    Check it in a test environment before jumping into live.
    My friend is "Search the Forum"
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Just adjust out your inventory. Rename the bad item card. Create the new item card. And bring the inventory back in under the new code.

No need to comment out code or modify the system in any way.
  • dayakardayakar Member Posts: 68
    matttrax wrote:
    Just adjust out your inventory. Rename the bad item card. Create the new item card. And bring the inventory back in under the new code.

No need to comment out code or modify the system in any way.

Sumit,
    commenting the code is the not the solution [-X , i knew it.

Thanks for reply matttrax,

you are absolutely right.

Even if i moved to new item code also i think i can not correct the old entries.

To be specific on the issue,
    - costing was adjusted with out considering the lot tracking, thats the reason i can see the differences in the Cost Amount(Actuals).
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yes, the old entries are POSTED entries. Whether they were wrong or not they were a part of your financial system at that moment in time. They should not be deleted, modified, or anything else. POSTED is FINAL is FOREVER. :)

That's why we have ways to "undo" things. Invoices have Credit Memos, Positive Adjustments have Negative Adjustments. Bypassing built in NAV Business Logic is almost always a bad idea. It's a piece of software with thousands of objects and even more thousands of lines of code. If you're someone who knows what every line of code does, knows how it will impact the system as a whole, go for it. Most people aren't, including myself.

I feel that I've gone off on a tangent again... :oops:
  • dayakardayakar Member Posts: 68
    matttrax wrote:
    I feel that I've gone off on a tangent again... :oops:

Well i too dont want to mess up the system and myself too, i will try to convince the customer to go for the new item codes.

Thanks for all your ideas.