Restore Problem

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
I took the backup of my Live DB of 1 company NAV 4.0 SP3(Live DB consists 28 Companies) by tick on Data and tick on Objects.I have created new DB NAV 4.0SP3 in SQL.I restored that backup on new SQL DB through Navision.After restore completion.When I saw object Designer then there are no forms ,no reports,no dataports,no codeunits,no menusuit only tables are there but with different ID's, for example we have 1 table ID 3(Payment terms) then ID of that table becomes 1000000003,this happens with all tables.Can anybody tell me the reason?y IDs of tables have changed and y I havnt got any forms,reports,xmlports,dataports,codeunits and menusuits.
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    If I remember table no 10000000 exist when restore is not complete. - if you click restore - again - Nav try to finish incomplete restore, after that ask for file -cancel it.
    One version of Nav have problem with restore backup if this is not Entire Database backup. Maybe 5 maybe 4sp3..
    Create Entire backup and full restore - simple way - always work
  • vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    Dear concern
    I want to restore the Data of only 1 company.Then How can I take backup of Entire Database.
    Vikram Dabas
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    so this is the version with this BUG - I never search for hotfix - you can try.
    Big table number is the other error - if you fix this - then you can just import missing all objects from *.fbk file including tables for workaround
    Dear Concern
    My problem has been solved.What I have done?I simply created another new NAV SQL DB 4.0SP3.Firstly I import all the objects taken from Live DB and then restore the only data of that live company.My restoration is successfully completed.Now plzz tell me it is right solution or just a trick.
    Vikram Dabas
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    If the objects are not restored that means they are not in the backup file to begin with. The root problem is that your initial restore did not complete, you can tell by the table numbers. If there's tables that look like 100000000003 and it is called "Payment Tarms" then the restore process was interrupted, and you need to simply finish the restore. Everything should go right from there, and if you have indeed included the objects in your backup they should also come in. You should never have to import the objects ahead of the restore, unless you have linked tables or other fancy things in your database.

When you create the backup, you select "Entire Database" for everything, including all companies and all objects. "All Companies" is data only. In the Custom option you can select what you want to include. So let's say you have a production database with 3 companies, and you want to backup one of them, including the application objects. You click "Custom", you only select the company you want, you also check "Data Common to All Companies" and "Application Objects".

When you restore the backup into a new database, all you need to do is make sure that this is all checked, and you should be gold. No need to import anything before you start the restore.
    Dear Denster
    U r right but ealier post saying that its a bug in this version(NAV 4.0 SP3),we cant take backup of single company,we have to take backup of entire DB thats y I m giving solution of his talks.
    Vikram Dabas
    Dear Denster
    What do u mean by Tables linked and by fancy things in Database?Can u explain me? I didnt understand this.
    Vikram Dabas
    U r right but ealier post saying that its a bug in this version(NAV 4.0 SP3),we cant take backup of single company,we have to take backup of entire DB thats y I m giving solution of his talks.
    I've never heard of such a bug. I've never had a problem with single company backups.
    What do u mean by Tables linked and by fancy things in Database?Can u explain me? I didnt understand this.
    You can have a linked table, which means that you have a NAV table object that is not a physical table on SQL Server but a view. You will need to have the view in the database before you put the objects in. When these are in the backup, it will restore all objects and show you an error message about the tabledata for this object. Even in that situation you would not have to import the NAV objects before restoring so it doesn't really matter for that process.
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    DenSter wrote:
    I've never heard of such a bug. I've never had a problem with single company backups.

I've experienced this on 5.0 sp1. Restoring one company will error out that the missing company does not exists. You'll have to restore both companies.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n