SQL access to NAV 5 database equals Web user?

lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
I have been reading a lot about DCO and 2009 licensing and it seems that a DCO license is required when an internal users is connecting to a NAV database from SQL.
My question is how does this work if the client is using 5.0? Should the client buy a web user for each connection to the SQL database?
Navision developer

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    You need DCO if a user is connect to NAV database without going through the full client.

This includes using Crystal reports, Cognos, BI tools, etc.
  • Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Alex Chow wrote:
    This includes using Crystal reports, Cognos, BI tools, etc.

Speaking about BI tools...

In normal, 'proper' scenario there is one process loading periodically data warehouse, which is then processed, and at the end generated cubes are accessed by users via BI client tools (say 100 users for the sake of the example).

My question is - how many DCO licences are required in the above scenario ? One for process accessing the original NAV data, or 100 - one per each user accessing derived/processed data in cube/data warehouse?

Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Great question!

I would assume you would only need 1 DCO license since that's the process that's accessing the NAV database. A question like this is best directed towards the Microsoft rep.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    Alex Chow wrote:
    Great question!

I would assume you would only need 1 DCO license since that's the process that's accessing the NAV database. A question like this is best directed towards the Microsoft rep.

The literal meaning of the words in the license policy means the exact opposite. Firstly because it is name user and not concurrent so any user who accesses the data of NAV needs to be licensed. If is internal then through DCO else you can also choose External Connector (for unlimited external user access)
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    As in each case like this, you need to be prepared that answer will be 100. But it depends on who will answer. Problem is, that there is no definition of "access to NAV data" and when the data are "NAV" and when they are not "NAV" anymore...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • lzrlzr Member Posts: 264
    When I read through a FAQ from Microsoft it says

Q: Why can't I use Microsof Dynamics Client for Office and WSS on Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0?
    A: Microsoft Dynamics Client for Office is first available with Microsoft Dynamics NAV on the Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009 version.

So what does this mean then? It sounds like it is not applicable on 5.0 (?)

I forgot to mention that this is an existing 5.0 customer and not a new one.
    Navision developer