Please help for Job Queue and NAS

selece28selece28 Member Posts: 316
Hi All,
I'm new on JobQueue module, still trying to understand the concept.
My client use NAV 5 Sp1 and we want to make an import Job that run on specific time, example 1pm.
I already learn about NAV Timer, but i also see that NAV have JobQueue module.
So i want to ask a few things just to make sure i'm on the right track.
I know that i can create the timer function using NAV timer.
But than i search in this forum and google and found some information about JobQueue.

My question is :
Can i just Create a Report, DataItem "Integer" with SORTING(Number) WHERE(Number=CONST(1))
And then add codes :
AppMan.NASHandler('JOBQUEUE');

with AppMan is Global Variable for CU 1 "ApplicationManagement"
Then I Run the Report 1 time to start the JobQueue?

I already try this, in the JobQueue i make it call my codeunit, and in that codeunit i write a code to insert 1 row to a table,
I just want to test if it works first. But it didn't.

So i confuse, what is my mistake?
Is it that to use JobQueue module we need to install NAS? Can i use it without installing NAS, because my client don't want to buy the NAS license.

Please advice,
Thanks

Regards,
Steven

Answers

• mandykmandyk Member Posts: 57
    Hi Steven,

JobQueue module able run on Navision client session or NAS.
    With NAS, you can have scheduler that run on windows service alike and provide high availability of unattended process.
    Anyway, since your customer don't intend to buy NAS granule then it is left an option.
    If you are not very familiar with JobQueue module then you can just create a new form and build up your own simple job scheduler with using onTimer event and call your report on 1pm.
    Then, you have to let a Navision client session run on server (which always run 24x7), be sure someone monitoring this session. Any error prompted or server get restarted you need to manually reopen and re-run your form.

Note:
    Using Job Queue module seem require certain module to purchase. Does your client has that module yet?

Cheers,

mandyk.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    The Job Queue module in NAV 5.x is based on the Job Scheduler module of NAV 4.x.

In NAV 5.x, the Job Queue runs through a NAS (with startup-parameter 'JOBQUEUE').
    In NAV 4.x, the Job Scheduler is run through a NAV client, where you have to click a "Start"-button on the Job Scheduler Management window.

Quoting on-line help NAV 4.0:

Starting the Job Scheduler
    You can use the job scheduler to automatically run scheduled jobs at regular user-defined intervals within a certain period of time.

After you have set up the jobs and the time intervals in the Job Scheduler Setup window, you can start the job scheduler if you want the program to run the jobs.

When started, the job scheduler checks at regular intervals if there are any jobs scheduled to be run and runs the respective report, codeunit, or dataport as soon as the starting time occurs.

To Start the Job Scheduler:
    Open the Job Scheduler Management window.

Click Start. A dialog box appears in which you must click Yes to confirm.

You could have a look at the objects in NAV 4.x, how to modify the Job Queue module to run without a NAS.

But you should first convince your customer to use the NAS approach. When you run the Job Queue through a NAV client, it will consume a user session anyway, decreasing the number of concurrent "real" users.
    No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • selece28selece28 Member Posts: 316
    Hi mandyk and Luc Van Dyck,
    Thank you for quick the relpy.

Luc, my client is using NAV 5, so from your statement "In NAV 5.x, the Job Queue runs through a NAS (with startup-parameter 'JOBQUEUE')." i assume that i cannot use the Job Queue without NAS right?

If that the case than no other option, i need to create the Timer Form myself that consume 1 user session. Thanks for the explanation, i will tell my client about consuming "real" concurent user if they using my modification.

Thanks all for the great help :)

Regards,
    Steven
  • selece28selece28 Member Posts: 316
    Hi all,

In the end we succeed to convince our customer to buy NAS license.
    But i will need to make sure some things.
    My client currently is using BE License, can this license run the Job Queue module with NAS license or they need to upgrade to AM License?

Regards,
    Hendra

Regards,
    Steven