Trace Object ID During Import ?

chandrurecchandrurec Member Posts: 560
Hi all,

I am trying to incorporate some functionalities from one db to another db using the araxis mege tool. I have done for the tables.aftre this i am using the cop.bat file to merge all the seperate text files into a single text file named all.txt. when i try to import the all.txt, i am getting a error but i dont the object id. only if i know the object id , then only it is possible for me to identify in which object the error lies. is there any solution to know the object id during import?

if anyone know the solution, please tell me asap because its very urgent.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
chandru.

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    Usually when you get an error while importing a txt file, the error message will state the line number. Open the text file, and go to that line number, and you will find your error. What does the error message say?
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    Edit: Nothing: just the same what Denster write
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    If that doesn't help I have found that the easiest, although still sort of painful, method to figure out which file the error is in is to do a kind of "binary search".

So say you have 8 files, F1 through F8. Combine the first F1 through F4 into one file and try to import. If you get the error then you have eliminated the second half of the files, F5 through F8.

Now repeat with the first F1 and F2. If you get the error it's one of those two, if not it's either F3 or F4.

You effectively eliminate half of the files with each import and it's a decently fast way to figure out where the error is.

You can go even faster by watching the progress bar. Take the percentage it gets to (I usually subtract 1% or 2% to be safe) and multiply it by the total number of lines in your file. So if you finish with 57% of the file and get the error, multiply .57 (0r .56 or .55) by the total lines in the file. Start your search there.

Hope those ideas help.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Right now I am preparing some NAV objects which are able to parse object txt files and check the duplicity of IDs and whatever you want (right now it is renaming variables to prefix notation as I want...). I want to extend it to check for double IDs and if needed it will solve the conflicts in one run. I have same problem each time I merge something... :-D

Availability of this tool will be during this month...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.