Partial invoicing of lot tracked sales order lines.

mariusswmariussw Member Posts: 52
In this scenario the Sales Order is shipped at once, but sales invoicing is done in chunks following the shipment.

Posting fails because the Item Tracking Line does not set Qty. to Invoice (Base) and indirectly Qty to Invoice fields, according to the Qty to Invoice field as on the Sales Order.

This causes an error message: "The quantity to invoice does not match the quantity defined in item tracking." when attempting to post an invoice from the order.

While manually setting the the Qty. to Invoice (Base) on the item Tracking Lines according to that on the PO line resolves the matter, I have some questions for discussion.

1. Is this is the correct approach, and shouldn't the system rather set the Qty to Invoice in the tracking lines automatically? One may reason that the system will not know which lot's tracking line to update (if more than one lot / tracking line is used for the same Order line). Since invoicing is about financial value of inventory, I do not think which lot matters at all. Except perhaps if the costing method is 'Specific'. Hence does it really make sence to manage Quantity to Invoice on Item tracking lines at all?

2. Will partial invoicing in this fashion adversely affect inventory costing? Average costing I believe (without checking), affects costing according to oldest open Item Ledger Entry first - i.e. regardless of lot thereof. Same for FIFO. Is this correct?

To put it differently, will COGS be affected and the open item ledger entry be closed off (applied) according to the actual lot selected or according to the oldest open ILE regardless of the Lot?

Thanks

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Even with specific costing method, if it is not Automatic adjusted during posting of sales , it goes out at Average cost ,only exception is Standard. I hope it answers both of ur ques.
    Kapil Khanna
  • mariusswmariussw Member Posts: 52
    Can you kindly help me to clear context please?

What do you mean by 'if it is not automatic adjusted'? Do you mean automatic cost posting not selected in the setup, or do you mean that a fixed application (between inventory increase and decrease) is done by the user?

What is the verdict, does Qty to Invoice appears on the item tracking line have any significance?