Serial Numbers on Prod. Orders

joshplummerjoshplummer Member Posts: 39
I'm running NAV 5.0 SP1 US.

I have a Sales Order for 3 Items.
I have a Prod. Order for 3 Items.

When MRP runs, it links them together properly in the Reservation Entry table.

I then I go to the Prod. Order and assign Serial Numbers, but don't yet post output.
After running again, MRP tells me to create a new Prod. Order and completely ignores the existing order...considering the existing Prod. Order and 3 serial numbers to be Surplus.
The Sales Order is then linked to the new Prod. Order suggested by MRP in the Reservation Entry table.

I can reproduce this out of the box with NAV, so my customizations are not at fault.

Has anyone else seen this?

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    There was a MRP cumulative update released for 5 sp1. I suggest to download and import it and test it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • joshplummerjoshplummer Member Posts: 39
    Is it on CustomerSource?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

Ok. I downloaded the MRP patch for SP1.

And, again, this issue is out of the box.

Even with the SP1 update, this issue still occurrs.

Quite frankly, I'm blown away that no one else has reported this.

This causes us huge issues in planning...and is clearly a bug in the code that Microsoft hasn't fixed.

Has anyone else seen this problem?

If not, please try this on your system ad let me know the results.
    If you don't put the serial no on Production Order, MRP doesn't recommend a new Production Order to be created?
    Also if you let MRP to create the new Production Order and you enter a serial no. and run MRP again will it suggest another Production Order?
    Ahmed Rashed Amini

If no serial numbers are added to the Prod. Order, everything links fine.
    If I create the new Prod. Order as MRP suggests. and then create serial numbers, MRP will yet again suggest another prod. order registering all the previous serial numbers and Prod. Orders as surplus.
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Nothing is wrong here if any Sales Order is creating a production order than they are linked to each other. Keep reserve always on Item card and run the scenario again, NAV will update the serial number mentioned on Production Order onto the Sales Order as well (but with a warning, as they are not available as of now) .

Any property change in Order-By-Order scenario will be taken as New Order if and only if Reserve is not selected. I am assuming your reordering policy is Order.

This works in all possible ways if u create Prod Order from Sales Order or use requisition worksheets or Order Planning. Output will be same. :)
    Kapil Khanna
    I've tried all these suggestions.

The item is set to Reserve: Always, and Reording Policy: Order...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Optional, and Reording Policy: Order...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Optional, and Reording Policy: Lot-for-Lot (Preferred)...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Always, and Reording Policy: Lot-For-Lot...no luck

I've done this in my modified MRP code, 5.0 base code and 5.0 SP1 MRP Rollup code.

In all of the above scenarios, I have a Sales Order for 3 Items and a Prod. Order for 3 items, which has serial numbers assigned on the item tracking lines. MRP is suggesting a new order even though a perfectly suitable one exists...though it happens to have serial numbers assigned.
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    I've tried all these suggestions.

The item is set to Reserve: Always, and Reording Policy: Order...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Optional, and Reording Policy: Order...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Optional, and Reording Policy: Lot-for-Lot (Preferred)...no luck
    The item is set to Reserve: Always, and Reording Policy: Lot-For-Lot...no luck

I've done this in my modified MRP code, 5.0 base code and 5.0 SP1 MRP Rollup code.

In all of the above scenarios, I have a Sales Order for 3 Items and a Prod. Order for 3 items, which has serial numbers assigned on the item tracking lines. MRP is suggesting a new order even though a perfectly suitable one exists...though it happens to have serial numbers assigned.

Oh may be somewhere ur customization is doing something, as i cud replicate it on a vanilla database. Did it update Sales Order back with serial numbers u mentioned on production order ? As i think that wud be the checkpoint.
    Kapil Khanna
    I was able to reproduce this very easily in the 5.0 demo database with the 5.0 SP1 MRP Rollup released in July.
    This is an example in an unmodified, vanilla database, with the "latest and greatest" MRP release available.
    This test should completely eliminate the possibility that my customizations are at fault, and prove that this is either a bug, or that we are doing something wrong.

Here are the steps to walk through this:

In the Cronus database, go to Item 8904-W.
    Set the planning parameters this way:
    Reordering Policy = Lot for Lot
    Include Inventory = Yes
    Reorder Cycle = 30D
    Reserve = Optional
    Item Tracking Code = SNALL
    Serial Numbers = EMP (Yes, I know this is Employees, but this is what I selected for my test. After all, it's just a number.)
    Make sure the SKU for warehouse BLUE is set the same way.

Delete all open Sales and Prod. Order for item 8904-W

Create a Sales Order for 2 of 8904-W due on 09/15/09 against warehouse BLUE.
    Create a Prod. Order for 2 of 8904-W due on 09/18/09...after the Sales Order Shipment date, for warehouse BLUE.
    Assign seral numbers to the prod. order above.

Run MPS/MRP for Item 8904-W against warehouse BLUE, order date 9/15/09, end date 9/31/2010.
    MRP will tell you to create a new Prod. Order for 2 8904-W's, and will mark the existing order as surplus in the reservation entry table.
    This is obviously not correct.

What should happen is one of the following, depending on the due dates of the orders and the reorder cycle:
    1) Cancel the existing order
    2) Place a new order
    OR
    1) Reschedule the existing order to match up with the dates on the sales order

Instead, the system has somehow determined that, simply because I have serial numbers assigned to my prod. order, that I need to create more inventory.

The same things happens with Reordering Policy = Order, varying reorder cycles, and Reserve = Always, and various mixtures of these parameters.

FYI...Remove the Serial Numbers from the Prod. Order and run MRP again. You'll get a reschedule message...this is correct.
    Clearly, there is something wrong with serial numbers in NAV. My ability to reschedule an order should have nothing to due with whether a serial number has been assigned.
    Please note my reply on September 16.

Hasanyone had an opportunity to either confirm or disprove my findings?
    I followed your step in 2009 Sp1.

Some changes to make it work.

The item is a kitting Item and I had to remove the kitting no and assign a bom no to the item.

I created the Production order from Sales Order.
    Order->Planning->create Production Order.

I then opened the released production order and changed due date to 09/18/09.

When I ran MRP. It suggest a reschedule of the production order.
    Then I entered serial no and ran MRP again.

It suggest two lines and both were reschedule lines for the same Production order.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini