Reduce Database Utilization

nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
Hi all,

For one of our client, we are using Navision 3.7 and SQl 2000. Right now navision shows 93% utilization.

How to reduce this? ](*,) Please suggest some guidelines. System has huge data. Navision already implemented in late 2005.

Regards
Navision Developer

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Utilization % = Usage/Resources, so if you want to reduced it, then I Recommend that you either decrease usage or increase resources.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    nav_126 wrote:
    Hi all,

For one of our client, we are using Navision 3.7 and SQl 2000. Right now navision shows 93% utilization.

How to reduce this? ](*,) Please suggest some guidelines. System has huge data. Navision already implemented in late 2005.

Regards
    Navision Developer

Doesn't understand your question. Why do you want to reduse the size of the databasefile(s) or / and your log file(s)?
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    to increase resources go to File-Database-Alter and look in "Database Files" and "Transaction Log Files" tabs

to increase performance i suggest to migrate to at least NAV5.0 because this is trully the first version optimized for MS SQL
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Eugene wrote:
    to increase resources go to File-Database-Alter and look in "Database Files" and "Transaction Log Files" tabs

to increase performance i suggest to migrate to at least NAV5.0 because this is trully the first version optimized for MS SQL

But not when they are on SQL 2000! NAV 5.00SP1 is good for SQ 2005 and 2008... :wink:
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • nav_126nav_126 Member Posts: 77
    HI all,

I may have confused you all. I do not want to reduce the size of databse but how can i expand my databse so my databse size will get increased?

it is on SQL Server 2000 and it has auto incremental of 10% but how can i do using Navision?

Regards
    Navision Developer
    Just change the size in the File-Database-Alter...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kine wrote:
    Just change the size in the File-Database-Alter...

I think this is not correct.

The correct answer is "Since you are a Navision partner and have live clients on SQL you must have certified people that know this. You should not be attempting to learn Navision on a clients live database. If you don;t have certified people in your company that you can learn from, then you seriously need to consider getting professional training."

This is a very basic and fundamental part of Navision database management, and it scares me to think that a client is live and running with a badly configured server and no one at the partner that knows how to correct it. The client deserves better than this.
    David Singleton
    Once again, good point... 8)
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.