Created new testing DB - Now we cannot add windows users

bspencerbspencer Member Posts: 50
Hello, everyone. I am a little embarassed to be asking this question because this is at least the 3rd time we ran into this problem. However, we have poor knowledge management here and the guy who had the answer to this moved on. Might be smart to document it somewhere. I have searched and cannot find this question but I imagine it is out there.

We had to create a new testing database because the old one was having issues. We are running 4.0 SP3 on SQL 2000 Server. We are able to create database logins for ourselves, but we are unable to create windows logins and assign ourselves (or anyone) to roles. If memory serves, this ended up being a setting on SQL server, but we cannot remember which setting it is. We found an old work ticket that only had this bit of information as the solution:

"Added rights to sync users on server."

That isn't enough for us to figure this out now. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    1) To be able to add new windows user into NAV from within NAV you need to be logged in as SUPER user (user with role SUPER) or some other role allowing you to create the users (e.g. role SECURITY)
    2) You need to have enough permissions on the SQL itself to be able to define new users - in most cases your account will be part of sysadmin server role (must be set on the SQL server) because it is job of admins.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    you probably have the user in sql server for the database but not as sql server user.

Open Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio
    Connect to the SQL server in question (the one your NAvision database is running on)
    In the Object Explorer tree your user should be in two places
    1) Server - Security - Logins
    2) Server - Databases - Your Database - Security - Users
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Don't forget to make sure that the security model is set to STANDARD.
    David Singleton