Modified check box not checked

jknauftjknauft Member Posts: 89
I'm working with a client that has extensively modified code. What's odd is half the code that has been modified doesn't have the modified check box ticked. Would anything cause this other then someone removing the checkbox. Should I update all the missing ones (~500 objects)?

Comments

• DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,304
    When you save any object, the 'modified' field in the Version List is checked, there is no way you can stop this from happening. If objects that have been modified do not have them checked, then someone unchecked them manually. The fact that you can do this, makes using the modified flag an absolutely unreliable method of checking for modified objects.
  • jknauftjknauft Member Posts: 89
    Thanks. In the past I've had programmers that relied on this checkbox during upgrades. I stopped doing that quite a while ago when I realized you could uncheck it.

Any reason to update the missing ones?
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    It is good practise to remove this flag when you "publish" the changes to customer DB (before you export the FOB which will be send to customer), but you need to change some flag in Version list correctly (like adding new version flag into the list or increment version in existing flag) to be able to select changed objects through filtering on the version list. In this case, the object import will not mark conflicts on all changed objects but really on the objects where conflict is (were changed in customer DB and in the dev DB too).
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    In the long run the client must trust hat they objects you send to them are tested, and will work when eventually imported to live.

The modified flag is so unreliable that I never trust it, and never use it.

Since you know that the objects are reliable, and you know the Modified flag is not. You send objects and the client hits the REPLACE ALL button and imports.

As Kine mentions, even updating the version number is not reliable, since it must be a sequential code and people mess that up. So its all about your customer's faith in you.
    David Singleton