Options

Replicating data from mobile units to the main Server

asemberengasembereng Member Posts: 220
edited 2009-10-01 in NAV Three Tier
Hi, we have some mobile units running NAV that goes to the field to collect money and is being registered to the NAV system. What we want to achieve is at the end of the day we want the data on the mobile unit to be copied to the main NAV system running on the main server. both the mobile and the Server runs the NAV database on a SQL server. How best can we achieve this?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    In my opinion, there are a number of possibilities.

1. SQL Server replication: You can set up replication, but be careful for document numers, no. series and that kind of stuff. Try working with seperate journals and such.
    2. Import/Export of XML. A functonality on mobile application that exports to a medium (folder, share, MSMQ,...) and a functionality on the main database that picks it up.
    3. ADO. Mobile database is going to write the data straight to a "temp"-table in the main database. Main database processes the data
    4. NAV2009 web services. Mobile app connects to a web service, set up on the main database and processes the data directly...

I'm sure there are other options as well.

My favorite: NAV 2009 Web services :) ...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog
  • Options
    asemberengasembereng Member Posts: 220
    Thanks, one issue i had was to do with entry numbers duplicating between the mobile and the live system. How can avoid this?
  • Options
    WaldoWaldo Member Posts: 3,412
    You can set up some kind of Mapping-field or table, to preserve the link between the two databases...

Eric Wauters
    MVP - Microsoft Dynamics NAV
    My blog