Options

Data Import Speed

epg_edine_lerouxepg_edine_leroux Member Posts: 3
edited 2004-11-26 in Dynamics AX
We have several companies in our Axapta system. We need to export data per company from our Live environment to our Test and Development environments. As a concept test I have created one export file for the smallest available company, the size of the export grew to 2GB. It took me 2 hours to export. To import the 2GB file into the Test environment was started at 5pm in the afternoon and still was not completed by 10 am the next morning. An export of our largest Axapta company is 11GB. Is there another way of copying data between environments. Am I missing something when importing data?

Comments

• Options
    Andrey_PetrovAndrey_Petrov Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

While importimg company data you should switch on the flag "Use record ID reservation" and set Indexing as "Re-index after import" (Administration module - Periodic - Data Export/Import - Import).
    These options influence on import rate significantly.

Best regards,
    Andrey Petrov, GMCS
    Best regards,
    Andrey Petrov, GMCS Ltd
  • Options
    epg_edine_lerouxepg_edine_leroux Member Posts: 3
    Our Axapta database is around 25GB and takes a couple of days to import data, with the 'Use record id reservation' option on and the Re-build of the indexes after import. How long does it take for you to import your database?
  • Options
    Andrey_PetrovAndrey_Petrov Member Posts: 3
    It took us about several hours, but our DB volume was no more 5 GB.

Following features also influence on your import rate:
    - format of the export file (use .dat format)
    - technical parameters of your hardware

Best regards,
    Andrey Petrov, GMCS Ltd
    Best regards,
    Andrey Petrov, GMCS Ltd
  • Options
    jaumixjaumix Member Posts: 5
    There is another way ot create a new envoirment into Axapta.
    And this one is very fast.

1. Create a new envoirment into Axapta
    1.1. Select the Aplication directory in the server and copy all into a new directory.

In my server this directories are:

\\AXAPTA\Navision\Axapta Application\Appl\Standard

then create the new directory

\\AXAPTA\Navision\Axapta Application\Appl\Development

and copy all the files and subdirectories from the Standard directory into Development directory.

GO TO THE SQL MANAGER
    2. Make a Axapta Backup database
    3. Create a new database whith other name (examle: Development)
    4. Restore the backup of Axapta database into Development database.

4.1 Left mouse buton over the Database Development
    4.2 Select Restore database option
    4.3 Select The option 'From devices' and click devices button
    4.4 Select the backup file
    4.5 In 'Options' tab change the original files proposed whith the real Development files (LOG and DATA file)
    4.6 Click to restore

GO TO AXAPTA CONFIGURATION UTILITY
    5. Create a new .axc file like the original file changing the parameters of Database conection and Aplication conection.

Then you have a new envoirment exactly equal than Axapta (original)

The next time you want to actualize the data of the developper envoirment you only need to do Step 2 and 4 (Make a Backup and Restore this one into Development database)

And If you want to do programing changes or apply new modular licenses to tha development envoirment this will not affect to the Standar envoirment.

Good Luck,
    Best regards,
    Jaumix
  • Options
    sahibeksahibek Member Posts: 13
    Andrey Petrov
    It works well but there are some problems if you import another data than the excel sheets.

I am trying to import csv file. I set up my import/export group but I am not able to aplicate this rule (re-index) for my group, because the type of group iis not supported for import / export.

-tom.