Pending Sales Invoices

santhanaksanthanak Member Posts: 91
hi all,

how to find the pending sales invoices for customers (total should tally with the balance amount) in NAV if the application method is not used?

thanks
Santhana

Comments

• DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    When application is not used, the payment is just an entry like other entries in the customer ledger. If the invoice number for the payment is not given in any reference(any field while posting payment), then the only way I think is to copy the ledger entries to excel, sort by amount and manually knock off.
    Other method may be to add a key with customer no. and amount in detailed CLE table for sorting in NAV only.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • santhanaksanthanak Member Posts: 91
    hi Deep

thanks for your quick reply. can you explain me the other method? (how to add a key)

we need to know the pending invoices for the customers for eg customer A has a balance of $10000 and now we would like to know the pending invoices with break up of amounts.

how to find this?

thanks in advance
    Santhana
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    I think u can try "Cash Applied" report in A/c Receivables. It shows the amount received as payment and has been applied to Invoice or not. It will display the invoice as well.
    Kapil Khanna
  • jversusjjversusj Member Posts: 489
    maybe i am misinterpreting, but couldn't you do this all with existing filters on the Customer Ledger Entries? Filter Open = Yes and document type = invoice and you'll have your lists of outstanding invoices. you can also sort based on doc type if you wanted to not filter on invoice but have all the invoices grouped together (existing key for document type).
    kind of fell into this...
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    jversusj wrote:
    maybe i am misinterpreting, but couldn't you do this all with existing filters on the Customer Ledger Entries? Filter Open = Yes and document type = invoice and you'll have your lists of outstanding invoices. you can also sort based on doc type if you wanted to not filter on invoice but have all the invoices grouped together (existing key for document type).

Next to our Balance field I've added an "Open" command button.
    PushAction:RunObject
    RunObject:Form Customer Ledger Entries
    RunFormView:SORTING(Entry No.) ORDER(Ascending) WHERE(Open=FILTER(Yes))
    RunFormLink:Customer No.=FIELD(FILTER(No.))

With A click it shows all Open Entries for that customer...really handy

PS it might be a translation thing too - beacuse "Pending Sales Invoices" SOunds like invoice waiting to be posted to me :-k
  • neerajmbs1982neerajmbs1982 Member Posts: 6
    Boss

If the apply method in customer card is apply to oldest so system will give automatically right information as u want.

and if not so there is no method to find the same figure.
    Neerajmbs
    Savatage wrote:
    PS it might be a translation thing too - beacuse "Pending Sales Invoices" SOunds like invoice waiting to be posted to me :-k
    i agree - could be he wants to see existing balance + sales orders that could be invoiced (to see total exposure to the customer).

oh well! we actually have a similar setup to you, except instead of a button, clicking the drill down auto filters the form to open docs. To see the unfiltered CLE, you have to go thru the customer button and select Ledger Entries.
    When a payment is no way applied to invoices, all the entries will be "open" in CLE, even if an invoice amount is paid.
    So, most likely, santhanak is asking to find out what all payments are made for what invoices, and that can only be manually found out. Sorting by amount makes it easy.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
    Deep wrote:
    When a payment is no way applied to invoices, all the entries will be "open" in CLE, even if an invoice amount is paid.
    So, most likely, santhanak is asking to find out what all payments are made for what invoices, and that can only be manually found out. Sorting by amount makes it easy.
    of course, the payment entry would also be open, and therefore, still included in the filter.

sorting by amount works nice if the following conditions are generally true:
    1. the customer makes 1 payment per 1 invoice, not 1 payment covering multiple invoices.
    2. the customer has taken no allowances or discounts or otherwise shortpaid the invoice.
    3. the customer has not done both 1 and 2 on a single payment.
    4. customer has not made a duplicate payment.

having done AR in NAV for 2.5 years, i could not imagine a business process where it was the rule to post payments without applying to the invoice, since in our environment, we had the physical payment and backup in hand when entering into the cash receipt journal. posting a payment without applying was always an exception and only done when there was no backup provided or some other issue like that. if this is a routine to try to clean up unapplied payments, i agree it will be manual, perhaps including phone calls to the customer to query what document their payment was intended to pay.

if this is the business process; to post all payments without applying to document, i would suggest a review of the business process. if it is at all possible, i think it would be much easier, more efficient, and ultimately better to post the payment to the document it pays. that said, maybe the business environment does not make this possible and if so, i wish you luck in keeping the AR healthy!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Savatage wrote:

Which is why I would not offer a solution until the OP clarifies exactly what they want. If the poster can not clearly define what they want (and it looks like Santhanak is a developer from the questions), then its most likely they don;t really now what the customer wants. So they will pick the answer that looks best, implement it the customer will go "HUH what is this" and the process will start again.

Expectation management is the most important skill needed for a successful Navision implementation. And meeting exceptions means knowing what is expected.

There are now so many conflicting answers on this thread that even once the correct answer is out there it will be uncertain that it is.
    David Singleton
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    That is why I am :-#
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
    of course, the payment entry would also be open, and therefore, still included in the filter.

sorting by amount works nice if the following conditions are generally true:
    1. the customer makes 1 payment per 1 invoice, not 1 payment covering multiple invoices.
    2. the customer has taken no allowances or discounts or otherwise shortpaid the invoice.
    3. the customer has not done both 1 and 2 on a single payment.
    4. customer has not made a duplicate payment.

having done AR in NAV for 2.5 years, i could not imagine a business process where it was the rule to post payments without applying to the invoice, since in our environment, we had the physical payment and backup in hand when entering into the cash receipt journal. posting a payment without applying was always an exception and only done when there was no backup provided or some other issue like that. if this is a routine to try to clean up unapplied payments, i agree it will be manual, perhaps including phone calls to the customer to query what document their payment was intended to pay.

if this is the business process; to post all payments without applying to document, i would suggest a review of the business process. if it is at all possible, i think it would be much easier, more efficient, and ultimately better to post the payment to the document it pays. that said, maybe the business environment does not make this possible and if so, i wish you luck in keeping the AR healthy!

Yes jversusj. I agree with you.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    santhanak hasn't replied, perhaps one of the solutions above was what they were looking for, I guess we'll never know :-k
  • santhanaksanthanak Member Posts: 91
    thankyou verymuch for all your replies.

yes i agree they should follow the applying method, but they are not yet following. is there is any possible way to findout the pending invoices.

("pending invoices" refers to payment yet to be recieved from customers.)

by customer ledger entry its really diffcult since most of the payments entries doesnt match with any of the amounts that we are invoiced to customers. possible ways are customers might have a detected some amount/customers are given discounts/any discripencies.

again thanks in advance.
    santhanak
    as was mentioned above, it is very easy to see which invoices and payments are open on the customer ledger entries. it is not so easy to figure out which open payment goes with which open invoice. it is too subjective (were there allowances, discounts, multiple documents on 1 payment, etc.) - i'm afraid they will have to manually process the accounts, investigating which payments were supposed to pay which invoices. this should be a good lesson for them to apply cash properly.
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    santhanak wrote:
    thankyou verymuch for all your replies.

yes i agree they should follow the applying method, but they are not yet following. is there is any possible way to findout the pending invoices.

("pending invoices" refers to payment yet to be recieved from customers.)

by customer ledger entry its really diffcult since most of the payments entries doesnt match with any of the amounts that we are invoiced to customers. possible ways are customers might have a detected some amount/customers are given discounts/any discripencies.

again thanks in advance.
    santhanak

If the client doesn't know which invoice is pending and further they have not posted the application entry then how system will ascertain the pending entries.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in