Serial No.

sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
Dear All,

I have got a client who has got a great no. of items which need to be changed to enforce the serial no. I was thinking of bypassing navision rules and setting the item to enfore serial no. even though it has got a number of ledger entries. Has anyone ever tried this out or maybe has got a different solution.

Please keep in mind that opening new item cards is not an options as this would lead to a great number of item cards.

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Unless you serialize your item ledger you'll be very, very sorry if you change everything to require a serial.

You'll have to negative adjust all of your inventory out of the system. Change over to serialized inventory. Create item journal lines to import the inventory back in. You can use the following function to add an item tracking line to an item journal line.
    //CreateReservEntry is CU "Create Reserv. Entry"
    CreateReservEntry.SetDates(
      0D, 0D);

CreateReservEntry.CreateReservEntryFor(
      DATABASE::"Item Journal Line",
      Template,
      Batch,
      ItemJnlLine."Line No.",
      SerialNo,
      '');

CreateReservEntry.CreateEntry(
      ItemJnlLine."Item No.",
      ItemJnlLine."Variant Code",
      ItemJnlLine."Location Code",
      Description,
      WORKDATE,
      WORKDATE,
      2);

Probably some accounting things to do as well like run adjust cost. I would do that after I removed all of the inventory to make sure everything was balanced correctly.

I speak from experience, it's a pain if you do it incorrectly. Test, test, and test again.
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    in Item Tracking codes u have the FREEENTRY[/b] code

Use only the FREERNTRY option.

Open that and select the parameters what what u need.

assign this to your items.

Do purchase , sales, Item Journal transactions with that items with serial numbers.
    FREE ENTRY just allows you to put serial numbers, it doesn't make you. There's a big difference. We tried that and ended up with people forgetting to put serials on. Ended up with half serialized and half unserialized inventory.
  • chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    matttrax wrote:
    FREE ENTRY just allows you to put serial numbers, it doesn't make you. There's a big difference. We tried that and ended up with people forgetting to put serials on. Ended up with half serialized and half unserialized inventory.

after you assign this FREE entry code select the someparamerters in Item Tracking code card.

like SN sales Tracking = Yes

SN purchase Tracking = Yes.... for FREE ENTRY

Try this one .
    That's what SNALL is for. Serial Number ALL. Changing FREE ENTRY to SN Required defeats the purpose of allowing free entry. If you need a customized item tracking code you should make one.