Database Backup/Restore

kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
We are using NAV 2009, and we have a heavily customized database. We got a backup file (*.fbk) containing some objects which were not available in our database. The FBK didn't contain any company, but only some of the objects which we required to integrate into our database.

When we tried to restore it to our CUSTOMIZED database, nothing happened! We thought it would overwrite the database, but nothing visible happened. We were not able to find the objects contained in the FBK file.

So, we created a new blank database, and when we restored the FBK file to that database, we got all the objects.

Any ideas on why this is happening? It would be helpful if anyone can explain what exactly happens when we restore a database.
Thanks,
Kirtan.

Comments

• JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    just for tip: You can [File -> Import] *.fbk file - exactly like *.fob file. Sometimes it is usefull like in your case.
  • kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
    edited 2009-08-26
    Thanks for the tip. But while importing the FBK file, I am getting an error -
    TableData 11027181 does not exist.

Thanks,
    Kirtan.
  • JedrzejTJedrzejT Member Posts: 267
    Not usually error i think. I dont remember to have that one while import objects.
    Do you have this error too when import only tables objects from *.fbk?
    Yes. I am getting this error even when I import ONLY table objects. I forgot to mention that the objects which are in the FBK file have been created in NAV 2009 SP1 (CTP), and a couple of them contain SP1 code. Could that be the reason for this error's occurance?
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kirtangor wrote:
    Thanks for the tip. But while importing the FBK file, I am getting an error -
    TableData 987349872 does not exist.

That's a wierd number. It's very close to the MSDN license. Have you done development in MSDN that you are now trying to improt to a normal database? If so then note that that is a/ Illegal, and b/ not possible.
    David Singleton
    Hi David,

The number written in the post was just a dummy number, I've updated the post with the actual number. Its the object number of a Table from one of the To-Increase's solution.
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    NAV 2009 is compiling the objects after import. This looks like you have some form/page which use this table but the table is not there anymore.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    Yes. I too thought that it would be compiling the objects. I further investigated and found out that the Table is present in the backup I am trying to restore.

I tried importing ONLY that table first, and was successful in doing so. But now, I am getting another error -
    You have specified an unknown variable.

variableName

Define the variable under 'Global C/AL symbols'.

But, I still can't figure out why the database restore works for a BLANK database, and not for a database with customzations, which is my original question.
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    kirtangor wrote:
    Hi David,

The number written in the post was just a dummy number, I've updated the post with the actual number. Its the object number of a Table from one of the To-Increase's solution.

OK, I guess the fact that MSDN uses the range 9876543210 makes it easy to confuse. :mrgreen: Its always best to use the actual object number, because those numbers always mean something in Navision.
    David Singleton