Web access to navision without NAS or IIS

prabhupdeshprabhupdesh Member Posts: 49
an we create a "database driven website" which is directly connected to a navision database in SQL. I have already done this using NAS & IIS but now i dont want to use NAS or IIS. I want to know what will be the disadvantage (or advantage ) of directly inserting data into navision table using a website. For ex: Creating a customer or order using website and pushing data into SQL Navision table and then seeing the data using customer card or sales order form in navision. PLease advice

Answers

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Creating a customer or order using website

For "complex" datastructures like Sales Orders with Lines where some business logic exist, use a NAS or a Client that insert/modify the recs.
    Store the data in a preprocess table, or use a webservice or something else. But doen't create orders directly from SQL. Did you take a look into the tab 36/37 what for C/AL is there running? All these code that u need, u must also develop in SQL. So, this is a lot of work, and what is, if there are some changes in the future? Then u must also change your SQL. Also u must fill all fields from SQL with the DEFAULT values. If you doesn't do this, these fields have a NULL value. And this is not allowed for NAV. So, let a NAS or a Client create these datas in NAV. And the IIS is not needed.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    As Garak wrote, you will miss all the business logic behind, which can lead to inconsistent database, if you write lowercase character into Code field (which SQL will not check), you will have errors in NAV (you will be not able to look at the record from within NAV). If the Web is too active, the NAV database can be overloaded and people which needs to work with the NAV, will have slow responses etc. Keep it separated, exchange only data you need, use the Business Logic.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    If the Web is too active, the NAV database can be overloaded and people which needs to work with the NAV, will have slow responses etc. Keep it separated, exchange only data you need, use the Business Logic.

:thumbsup:
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    garak wrote:
    If the Web is too active, the NAV database can be overloaded and people which needs to work with the NAV, will have slow responses etc. Keep it separated, exchange only data you need, use the Business Logic.

:thumbsup:

what will happen when the SharePoint client is released for NAV? I guess we will cross the bridge when we get there.
    Or rather jump from it. :mrgreen:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    No, because the Sharepoint client works like RTC, using the service tier. It means it will be like another RTC, it will not be for usage by 100 users at one moment.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • prabhupdeshprabhupdesh Member Posts: 49
    Thanks all of you for the reply
  • ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    an we create a "database driven website" which is directly connected to a navision database in SQL. I have already done this using NAS & IIS but now i dont want to use NAS or IIS. I want to know what will be the disadvantage (or advantage ) of directly inserting data into navision table using a website. For ex: Creating a customer or order using website and pushing data into SQL Navision table and then seeing the data using customer card or sales order form in navision. PLease advice

You can also do an exe upgrade to 2009 and use webservices.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n