Options

Reorder Point versus Safety Stock Quantity

refref Member Posts: 20
Who can explain the difference between to two fields? I have the following scenario:

When my stock reaches a certain level I want to reorder to my Maximum Inventory e.g.

Reordering Policy = Maximum Qty.
Inventory = 3
Reorder Point = 5
Maximum Inventory = 50
Rest of the fields is left empty or empty.

I would now expect the Req. calculation to suggest an order for 47 pieces, but it suggests nothing! If I change the reorder point to 6 it suggests the 47, why?

If I instead use the Safety Stock Quantity field it seems to work, whenever the value is above my actually Inventory it suggest to order.

It would be easy just to use the Safety Stock Quantity field but even better to be able to explain why.
/René

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Are you using 3.70A version? There are some bugs in Req. calculation batch in older versions...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    Yep, I am using 3.70A
    /René
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Try it in 3.70A (3.70 with service pack 1) - may be that it is bug (i cannot tell if it is right setup for your situation, i am programmer, not consultant ;-))
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Not enough information.
    Also importatnt field is "Safety stock".
    I think, that you have some purchase orders for this item (at least for quantity 2) and safety stock is 3.
  • Options
    I don't have any purchase order or anything else on the way into stock.

I know that the Safety stock field is important, that is exactly my question how do you explain the two fields :

Safety Stock and Reorder Point?
    /René
  • Options
    i4tosti4tost Member Posts: 208
    Safety stock is always included.
    Order date in periodic activity will be - for safety stock as due date, for reorder point as starting date.
  • Options
    Oh, so simple, thanks a lot!
    /René