NAV 5.0 What is best way of invoicing for services?

Keen_KiwiKeen_Kiwi Member Posts: 4
We have a need to invoice customers for services, eg a charging for packing a container.

I've just read the "Trade in Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0" course which contains discusses non-stock items but these don't seem the right approach.

We effectively want to set up the range of services we bill but, unlike inventory (and non-stock items), we are not maintaining stock levels of a product.

Welcome views/guidance on the best module/approach to setting up a listing (and/or master card data) of service line items we bill plus associated pricing.

Cheers, Andrew

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Look at Item Charges, this is what they are there for.

You may also want to look at using resources.

Research both and see which way suits your purposes.

EG you might use an item charge for Service EG ITem chage Type= Packing Price 500
    but it takes an employee 2 hours to do this so you could add a resource line below to show the employees prices and time spent.

It depends if you want a bulk cost or wish to display them seperately
  • MammoMammo Member Posts: 107
    jannestig wrote:
    Look at Item Charges, this is what they are there for.

You may also want to look at using resources.

Research both and see which way suits your purposes.

EG you might use an item charge for Service EG ITem chage Type= Packing Price 500

As jannestig says, Item charge is used to define additional cost to an existing item or for any sales shipment. This can be used in your case.
  • Keen_KiwiKeen_Kiwi Member Posts: 4
    Thanks jannestig and Mammo...but Item Charges do not seem to be a good fit.

Similar to stock items we need to maintain unit prices for each service item as well as units of measure. We are not billing services as an add-on to the delivery of physical goods but as our core business. Hence we need to have selling prices for each service loaded in the NAV system.

For example, we could bill a customer for the following:
    Packed 20' container....................Qty: 20.......UOM: Container .......Price/unit: $50 ......... Extension: $1,000
    Packed 40' container....................Qty: 40.......UOM: Container .......Price/unit: $90 ..........Extension: $3,600
    Pallets received...........................Qty:467......UOM: Pallet..............Price/unit: $5............Extension: $2,335

While the quantity will be input at the time of invoicing the price/unit needs to be stored in NAV against each service (eg "Packed 20' container" is a service line which could have a service number allocated to it).

I'd welcome further feedback....Cheers, Andrew
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Use resources for this, set one up for each type of service you want to bill, or a single resource and just change the description on each sales order.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Yes as mave said and i suggested earlier Resources are another option
  • vytjakvytjak Member Posts: 36
    edited 2009-08-20
    That's a question I had on my mind for a few months as well (services' invoicing).
    I hope some more consultants will reply with best practices regarding this question.

In one of the projects that I was participating in long long time ago, we simply used items and ignored the stock value, which, of course, was not a very good approach.

Andrew, could you please post which way you chose in the end?
    Vytenis Jakas
    B3 Technologies - Making Technology Serve the People
  • Keen_KiwiKeen_Kiwi Member Posts: 4
    To vytjak: I'll try and remember to let you know which path we take (...now for trying to find a manual on the Resources area ...probably in the Jobs area I suspect)
    To jannestig: Thanks for your earlier suggestion on resources which I overlooked!
    To the person who replied before jannestig (for some reason I can only see the last 2 replies/posts): Thanks for your resources suggestion.

Cheers, Andrew