Options

Efficient Picks and 3.70a WMS

speetzspeetz Member Posts: 4
This posting involves the fact that the 3.7 WMS creates directed picks in the unit of measure on the sales order. If the order is in cases, the pick is in cases. If in an each, the pick is in an each. Obviously, picking in cases is far more efficient but below is an outline of my problem. The 2.6 WMS created picks in the largest UOM possible - thoretically the most efficient.

We sell our product in various units of measure. For example we may have a case pack of 24 (each) and inside the case we have 4 "inner packs" of 6 (each). If a customer orders 30 (each) we need to pick and ship 1 case and 1 inner pack for this order.

Now to increase the complexity. If orders such as these were all manually entered, we could satisfy the above problem by entering two sales lines: 1 for a case, 1 for an inner pack. However, 80% of our orders come in via EDI...there is and can only be 1 sales line.

If we convert the 30 each into cases this would translate into 1.25 cases. However, not only do I not like the idea that we're not picking a quarter of a case, you get into another issue. Some of our master cases have 30 inner packs. So one inner pack is .0333333333 cases. I don't even want to go there.

So what I would like is to be able to get some of the logic in the 2.6 WMS pick generation process in 3.7. I would like to enter the above order as 30 each and get a pick as 1 case and 1 inner pack.

Is there anyone out there that has made a modification like this...and maybe wants to share or sell? Thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    speetz wrote:
    This posting involves the fact that the 3.7 WMS creates directed picks in the unit of measure on the sales order. If the order is in cases, the pick is in cases. If in an each, the pick is in an each. Obviously, picking in cases is far more efficient but below is an outline of my problem. The 2.6 WMS created picks in the largest UOM possible - thoretically the most efficient.

We sell our product in various units of measure. For example we may have a case pack of 24 (each) and inside the case we have 4 "inner packs" of 6 (each). If a customer orders 30 (each) we need to pick and ship 1 case and 1 inner pack for this order.

Now to increase the complexity. If orders such as these were all manually entered, we could satisfy the above problem by entering two sales lines: 1 for a case, 1 for an inner pack. However, 80% of our orders come in via EDI...there is and can only be 1 sales line.

If we convert the 30 each into cases this would translate into 1.25 cases. However, not only do I not like the idea that we're not picking a quarter of a case, you get into another issue. Some of our master cases have 30 inner packs. So one inner pack is .0333333333 cases. I don't even want to go there.

So what I would like is to be able to get some of the logic in the 2.6 WMS pick generation process in 3.7. I would like to enter the above order as 30 each and get a pick as 1 case and 1 inner pack.

Is there anyone out there that has made a modification like this...and maybe wants to share or sell? Thanks in advance for any input.

Check with Lanham & Assoc. I believe they made an addon for the standard Navision WHM.
  • Options
    mvmv Member Posts: 4
    Also, Integrated Systems Technology in Dallas (www.istserve.com) made an addon that includes several improvements in the WMS area - specifically including the handling of same item in different UOM's.

I got no idea if they can do exactly what you requests, though.