Dimension

shri_mishri_mi Member Posts: 31
Hello,
I need to allocate salary expenses to various departments and locations.
For example: Salary 10000 needs to be allocated as given below:
1) Department
Finance - 2500
Admin - 3000
HR - 2200
IT - 2300
2) Location
India - 3000
US - 5000
Australia - 2000

Please let me know how can this be done.

Rgds,
Sriram
With Warm Regards,
Sriram

Comments

• chengalasettyvsraochengalasettyvsrao Member Posts: 711
    Select the journal batch.
    Select the salary Account , and enter the amount in Debit field , select Dimension Finance department
    Select the salary Account , and enter the amount in Debit field , select Dimension HRdepartment
    Select the salary Account , and enter the amount in Debit field , select Dimension Administrator department
    Select the salary Account , and enter the amount in Debit field , select Dimension IT department
    Select the Cash Account , and enter the amount in credit field , select Dimension Post the lines.
  • schoolkidschoolkid Member Posts: 103
    How about the location? the amount varies for each dapartment and location, You have 4 departments and 3 locations.
    schoolkid wrote:
    How about the location? the amount varies for each dapartment and location, .

Then split the amount based on the Location & Department.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    I think he is asking how they will fill in the Location code on the journal line as it doesn't exist.

Since location code usually refers to inventory location you won't find it on these lines

So unless you are using responsability centres you will need to create a new location dimension to capture this information.

You can then setup a recurring journal so they monthly lines are setup for you to post.

You can control the amounts from here as well as salary could change.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Or if you already have department and location as dimensions you will need to come up with the amount for the 12 combinations (4 departments * 3 locations)
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Addition : (Just an alternative) U can read about recurring journals and see how method Fixed or Variable can help u doing it in more easy manner for u.
    Kapil Khanna
  • shri_mishri_mi Member Posts: 31
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your response!! Acutally we have 3 dimensions (Dept., Location and Project). How do I allocate 10000 to:
    (1) Dept.A - 1000, Location 1 - 3000, Project X - 2000
    (2) Dept.B - 3000, Location 2 - 2000, Project Y - 4000
    (3) Dept.C - 6000, Location 3 - 5000, Project Z - 4000

If the amount is same for all dimension values in Line (1), there wont be any difficulty. If it varies, how do I enter? Please help.

Rgds,
    Sriram
    With Warm Regards,
    Sriram
    shri_mi wrote:
    Hi All,
    Thanks for your response!! Acutally we have 3 dimensions (Dept., Location and Project). How do I allocate 10000 to:

If the amount is same for all dimension values in Line (1), there wont be any difficulty. If it varies, how do I enter? Please help.
    Sriram

First try to understand How Dimension functionality work in Navision. then u dont continue the same question
    Hello Mr.chengalosettyrao,
    I am posting to the forum as am not able to understand the functionality. The purpose of forum is to share the knowledge and not limiting it. If you are an expert, please let me and others know the solution. Else, let others continue and contribute to the discussion and pls dont try to hijack the topic.
    With Warm Regards,
    Sriram
  • Benny_FauziBenny_Fauzi Member Posts: 14
    shri_mi wrote:
    Hi All,

Rgds,
    Sriram

hmm this is quite interesting.

well the best i can advice is that you have find a number that can be used for all combination. here's some illustration :

amount dept loc project
    1000 a 1 x
    1000 b 1 x
    1000 b 1 y
    1000 b 2 y
    1000 c 2 y
    1000 c 3 y
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z

i know that the real data won't be this easy, but at least i hoped that you get what i mean and understand the concept. find the combination and play around with it :mrgreen:
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    Hi.
    Please elaborate your question once again with an example, like what expenses you like to segregate, and in which heads.
    Regards,

Deep
    India
    shri_mi wrote:
    Hi All,

Rgds,
    Sriram

hmm this is quite interesting.

well the best i can advice is that you have find a number that can be used for all combination. here's some illustration :

amount dept loc project
    1000 a 1 x
    1000 b 1 x
    1000 b 1 y
    1000 b 2 y
    1000 c 2 y
    1000 c 3 y
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z
    1000 c 3 z

i know that the real data won't be this easy, but at least i hoped that you get what i mean and understand the concept. find the combination and play around with it :mrgreen:

Dear Benny,
    Thanks for your valuable suggestions. We are trying out the approach you suggested. Now, I have a question for you. Do we need to create multiple lines in General Journal for each combination set? For example, if we have 15 combinations, do we need to create each line for all the 15 combinations? Or is there any other altenative which simplfies the process?

Is it possible to enter the amounts in the General Journal Line Dimensions or do we need customizations for this?

Rgds,
    Sriram
    With Warm Regards,
    Sriram
  • ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    IMHO As far as the example given by you, you have no choice but to create lines equal to possible permutation/combination having some values to post.
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Benny_FauziBenny_Fauzi Member Posts: 14
    Hi,

yes, i also think there's no other choice but to create multiple line for each combination just as Ssingla said and honestly i can't think of any customization model that can help with it. or maybe the other option is to simplified the amount of dimension usage.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    I suppose another question to be asked is how many accounts will these entries be posted to ? if you have seperated accounts for say each location you would say yourself a lot of issues. as you would only have 2 dimensions of Project and department to worry about ?

EG account 10001 india would have and entry for 1000 project X and 2000 Dept IT 3000
    We have only one G/L account for Salaries in general ledger and will be posting all the entries to the same account. Also, we dont want to create separate accounts based on location as we have 20+ locations.
    With Warm Regards,
    Sriram
  • DeepDeep Member Posts: 569
    shri_mi wrote:
    We have only one G/L account for Salaries in general ledger and will be posting all the entries to the same account. Also, we dont want to create separate accounts based on location as we have 20+ locations.

Then you should follow Benny's suggestion.
    Regards,

Deep
    India