NAV in the US

alsolalsol Member Posts: 243
Hello,

I would like to know a little bit more about the US market for NAV, especially focused on California. Does anyone know more about the reputation of NAV in this market? What are typical companies which are using NAV in the US? Has NAV also a chance in companies >1000 emplyees in the US?

I could not find many partners in the US and looking at their websites they do not make a very professional impression. Is this because NAV is not so popular like for example Oracle? How about typical hourly rates, are they similar to Europe?

Would appreciate if someone could elaborate on this topic.

Thanks.

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    Nav is popular in US. There are many solution centers just like in Europe.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    cyberscout wrote:
    I could not find many partners in the US

There are 100+ in the United States.
    cyberscout wrote:
    especially focused on California.

most of which are actually in California, with probably Florida running second.
    cyberscout wrote:
    looking at their websites they do not make a very professional impression

I agree, a lot of them look pretty bad.
    cyberscout wrote:
    How about typical hourly rates

Cheapest I've seen is $150/hr
    cyberscout wrote:
    Has NAV also a chance in companies >1000 emplyees in the US?

With newer versions it has a better chance, but that is not its target audience.
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    matttrax wrote:
    cyberscout wrote:
    Has NAV also a chance in companies >1000 emplyees in the US?

With newer versions it has a better chance, but that is not its target audience.

Since MS determines which Dynamics product will be the right for the client. >1000 employees solution in NAV will never happen. NAV cannot support 1000 employees. Yes, there is one or two implementation of the current size, those people are not doing anything in concurrently. Imagine 20 % of people posting at the same time.

The newer version of NAV, meaning the 3 tier has the same or lower performance than the classic client.
    Until they do some radical changes in NAV, it will be the 50 user ERP system.
    generic wrote:
    Until they do some radical changes in NAV, it will be the 50 user ERP system.

I do agree that it will take some major changes to get to a concurrent 1000 user system (or a lot of time any money like GameStop), but 50 is low-balling it. We're at 150 and only experience minimal table locking (that is to the point of not being able to do anything, not just the 1 second blocking that happens all the time). We don't even do batch posting at odd hours, just a pretty straightforward implementation with all but two modules (Service and Manufacturing).
  • genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    It's not the number of users, but the number of transaction and size of db and the number of users that are posting concurrently. And yes having an expensive hardware can increase the numbers.
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Actually Gamestop while being big is not that huge as far as actual users.

Its between 50-100 users (inc WMS which is a seperated NAV server) per site (1-4) countries with a seperate server for each site. I remember the new manager coming a from sap background wanted to have it all in one as well as wanting to ask MS to drop the Value entries table.

The main area was dealing with the huge distribution and purchasing side of the business :) The pos system is an inhouse sytem with a replication so POS is handled outside of nav to the greater extent
    I always thought they had a huge user base (don't know where I think I read that). And they are constantly hiring NAV people for their office(s) in Texas, so I figured they had to be pretty decent sized.
  • davmac1davmac1 Member Posts: 1,283
    Constantly looking is not the same as constantly hiring.
    They break the hearts of many recruiters.
    They only have a few NAV employees.

There must be a lot more than 100 NAV resellers in the US. As far as web sites go, they are pretty pitiful and Microsoft does not believe in making partners easy to find. You would think they would have a listing by state and city.
    I have found the best way to find partners is go to a popular third party software site (like Expandit) and see who their partners are.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Probably not my place to say this, but is it appropriate to be posting confidential customer information on a public web site?

I often post information about customers if that information may be of benefit to the community, but I always remove any identifiable information. In our industry, I think its very important that we always protect client confidentiality. Unless of course the posters above contacted that mentioned client and got permission to post this.

[-X
    David Singleton
  • KTA8KTA8 Member Posts: 397
    Probably not my place to say this, but is it appropriate to be posting confidential customer information on a public web site?

I often post information about customers if that information may be of benefit to the community, but I always remove any identifiable information. In our industry, I think its very important that we always protect client confidentiality. Unless of course the posters above contacted that mentioned client and got permission to post this.

[-X

I thinki it two ways:
    • Your own morality
    • Your country law. In Spain this is by law
    For me I was just posting about things that I had read so I assumed public knowledge. My apologies if I've said anything that would normally be considered confidential.