Adjust cost for an item takes too long

Lec11Lec11 Member Posts: 91
Hello all,

I have the following issue in which I hope you can help me with an advice or something.

An user has transferred 2 items using the transfer order form. As a result of posting this transfer order there were generated about 15.000 item ledger entries for the first item and about 3.000 for the second one.

The problem appears when adjusting cost. For the second item it took several hours but it ended successfully. But for the first item the cost adjusting seems to never end. We left the task running over the weekend and it didn't end.

The costing method for both items is FIFO. The customer uses Navision 4.0 SP2 and SQL Server 2000.

Can you help me with an advice or a workaround in order to adjust the cost for this item?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• EugeneEugene Member Posts: 309
    In codeunit 5895 try to change all FIND('-') with FINDSET (some FIND('-') can be changed with FINDFIRST)
    look how this codeunit is optimized in NAV5.0
  • jlandeenjlandeen Member Posts: 524
    Unfortunately I don't think the answer is as clear cut as always use FindSet, FindFirst/Last instead of the earlier Find(<string>) method - on SQL based NAV implementations.

Hynek from SQL Perform presented some very interesting findings at Directions in November 2009 on this topic. To summarize the old Find(<string>) method works best on very large recordsets (probably in the 500+ records range) while the FindSet, FindFirst/Last optimize working with smaller recordsets. This mainly has to do with the Overhead associated with Cursors, which are used by the Find(<String>) method.
    Jeff Landeen - Sr. Consultant
    Epimatic Corp.

http://www.epimatic.com
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Note that it's also very dependent on the executable version you are running. SP2 on SQL 2000 is going to be quite problematic, though it shouldn't have the cursor issue that jlandeen mentions.

You should consider upgrading to newer executables.
    David Singleton