My printer is not listed in Printer selections

raveendran.sraveendran.s Member Posts: 119
Hi All,

Greetings

I installed a Thermal Printer in server 2008. It is not listed in printer selections look up part #-o . How to get my printer listed over there?

Please suggest me a solution.... ](*,)

Thanks in advance
--
Regards,
Raveendran.BS

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Is it installed as a printer on the machine you are using? Printer Selection only lists the printers that are installed on the machine you are currently on, not every printer on the network. You can also try typing in the printer name.
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    Aren't you connecting to NAV through terminal services?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • raveendran.sraveendran.s Member Posts: 119
    Hi Matttrax,

Thanks for your reply..... I installed that printer Driver in that machine, then also it is not coming.....

Hi Kine,

As you asked, I am accessing NAV via terminal services only, But I am trying to choose a printer which is installed Locally...

Thank You
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS
  • syedamirsyedamir Member Posts: 68
    Same Printer should be installed on the Server as well as Local machine.

Regards,
    Syed
    Hi Syed,

Thanks for your reply.

See, here my issue is I am not getting my installed printer as part of the printers in the printer selection window. For that I feel if the printer is installed in server is enough right?

Here I am not concerned about printing...

Please suggest me a solution....

Thank You
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS
    Depends if you enabled option in the terminal server client when connecting to share your local pirnters with the terminal server... check the options when connecting...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/libr ... 8131(WS.10).aspx

also, if u use CITRIX as TerminalService, check the settings on Citrix
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • nommerydnommeryd Member Posts: 12
    HI.
    My problem is similar!

Have like 30-40 printers installed and visible in Navision(version 4.03) Printer Selections, but when I add two more they don't come up!

We work in TerminalServer environment WS2008.

It's one Zebra label printer GX420d and one eDoc printer Pagero artificial printer....

Help! :?:
  • stgiafstgiaf Member Posts: 5
    Any solution about this guys?
    I have tha same problem.
    Printer not displayd in printer selection, thus is not present in Printer Virtual Table.
    The environment is Win Server 2008 , with citrix
    client 4 sp3 update 6 (build 25143)

I have seen that the printer creation is not writing in Devices registry key for each user in
    HKEY_USERS.This is the key tha Navision Searches.
    The point is why win 2008 does not update this registry key?
    May be because UAC? It means, you are adding the printer as normal user and not administrator?
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    No im adding the printer while logged in as administrator.
  • suresh111suresh111 Member Posts: 32
    You are connecting to the server through RDP (terminal serivces) right? When u connect to the server the local resources of your systme is mapped to the server or not. if not try to do those settings

Suresh
    Hi,

I am the one who opened this post.

For me what happened is, my server is windows2008. we are using Windows XP prof., Vista Business, Vista home edition and so on as client Machines. All the users will connect to the server using RDP. An my client has Terminal services license too.

When we connect these machines thru rdp, by default as discussed here in mibuso all the printers installed in the local machines will be displayed, but In vista home edition machines alone, i could not able to see them. And we were having hardly 3 machines, so my client decided to upgrade them to business edition.

My conclusion is, the Operating system eligible to add in to domains are only eligilble for this printer sharing on RDP. Correct me if I am wrong.

Now my problem is solved. Thanks to everyone.
    --
    Regards,
    Raveendran.BS
    Autocreated printers are displayed and installed as well everytime a user logs on to citrix.
    If i install a printer as admin then the printer is mapped to the user through citrix policies, but it is not displayed in printer selection form. The printer is not displayed in the printer virtual table as well.
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Did u test with the following policy:
    Start the Nav. Application not before all printers are mapped.
    Sometimes NAV is started untill all printers mapped through OS an then NAV will not show them in the printer tabel.
    So launch the application after all printers are mapped. then NAV will also show all printers in his printer tabel
    Do you make it right, it works too!
    I'va already test that..
    No success.. I started nav inside ts session after all printers were mapped normally..
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    Okay, firstly, just to confirm. The printers aren't visible using notepad either so this isn't actually a Navision problem as such. Correct?

There are many reasons for printers not to be tunnelled through an RDP (Remote desktop) connection.

Firstly the tunnelling can be turned off, on the client, on the domain user on the server machine setup and through various domain policies.

Second, there needs to be a driver installed on the server to match the one installed on the client (this is often the killer with cheap printers as their drivers either refuse to install or the admin refuses to install them). Citrix has a printer driver mapping facility that lets you use the 'wrong' driver when the 'right' one won't work; I think there is such a facility buried somewhere in the registry for RDP as well.

The printer needs to look like a local printer. There are several ways to hook up a printer driver, depending on how the driver is installed a printer that's physically attached locally or to the network may look like it's attached by either method. So if you use a standard network install to connect to a printer connected to a networked windows server it looks like it's networked. If you install it using a network path on a 'local connection' it looks like a local printer. This also works the other way around especially with cheap GDI USB printers looking like they're connected with a network connection.

So, start with something really dumb, eg a manual install of a local HP Laserjet 4 attached to a file. See if that gets tunnelled. If not it looks like something might be disabled, if it works you might be looking at a printer driver that's incompatible with RDP in some way.

Edit... BTW: That's a possible workaround too, get a PDF printer (they use nice safe drivers) that looks like a local printer and can automatically print a document once complete. I think PDFCreator will do the job, but beware it's recent malware.
    No , the printers are normally installed in windows and are visible through notepad or any other application.
    Also they are visible inside navision if the standard windows form for printing opens.
    The only place that the printers are not visible is inside printer selection. The printer is not listed in printer virtual table.
  • rdebathrdebath Member Posts: 383
    Okay, I'll shuddup then, the only time I've seen that sort of thing is when the printer connection is created after Navision is started.
  • CaponeCapone Member Posts: 125
    Still no solution to this? ](*,) I'm having exactly the same problem as stgiaf.

I found a solution to this problem in another thread BUT it was for version 2009, viewtopic.php?f=23&t=44786&p=236805#p236805
    Hello IT, have you tried to turn it off and on?
    Have you checked the cables?
    Have you released the filters?

http://www.navfreak.com
    An update:

I think I found a solution to the problem.

In order to find where the virtual printer table gets it printers from I searched through the registry and found following places:
    HKEY_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/Devices

HKEY_Current_User/Software/Microsoft/Windows NT/CurrentVersion/PrinterPorts

After googling it I found out that this is not only a Navision problem but also a windows server/citrix problem.
    http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 0&tstart=0

In short the problem is that the user profile can only handle a maximum of 99 printers and since the user profile get all the other user printers then list could get full and no new printers will be added.

I have sent the issue to our customers hosting company and they will take a look at it. I'll post an update after they have done it.

An update 2:
    Problem solved! \:D/

• fredefrede Member Posts: 80
    Could you tell us HOW the problem is solved?
    Regards,

Henrik Frederiksen, Denmark
    Sorry, I should have been clear that the solution was found in the link that i posted ( http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 0&tstart=0 )

But I will summarize it for you:

The problem is that the user profile gets filled with all the other users session printers and that windows can only adress 99 of them.

These printers are stored in the registry in the user profile:
    and

The short term solution:
    Logon with the user account and delete all the printers that user does not need in
    and

Once you have logged out the user and logged in again the new printers will be added in the registry.
    That was what our hosting partner did. The user went from 146 printers to 80 and when we restarted the session the new printers and local session printers had been added to the list and could be found in the virtual table printers. \:D/

Long term solution
    Is to make a script that deletes the register records for those printers that don't belong to the user profile by matching against another register record that contains the local printers.
    The discussions on how to build these scripts can be found at the earlier link ( http://forums.citrix.com/thread.jspa?th ... 0&tstart=0 )

• fredefrede Member Posts: 80
    Thx!
    I will take it up with my colleagues!

I read something about a KB from MS fixing this max. of 99 printers? It that not true?
    Regards,

Henrik Frederiksen, Denmark
    I found following KB:
    Print queue does not work if the queue is not one of the first 100 queues installed in a Windows Server 2008 Terminal Services session
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2532459