Assign user groups on Navigation Pane

stjernestjerne Member Posts: 7
Im having problems assigning menu restrictions to user groups.

It seems Navision doesn't accept restrictions done on groups, only userids seems to work.
Not a problem setting it up as such, it just doesnt work. Navision still looks for restriction done on the user loggin on, even though his connection is via
a group.
I noticed the user menu level table includes records for each user, even those not in the windows logon table.
Its actually possible to copy the restriction record in the user menu level table done on groups to the user, and rename it, however this is poor security management at best.
Anyone agree? Anyone know of a solution?

All other security issues works fine.

Running SQL with standard security on NAV501.

thank you

Comments

• jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    This might help though it is for version 4

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase ... kpsxymuypu

although the general consensus is no it seems

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=27839&hilit=group+security+menu

Could try with the latest build release or in 2009?
  • stjernestjerne Member Posts: 7
    Thanks, havent tried in never versions, yet.
    I figured out the copy paste part in user menu level, but somehow im not really fond of having customers IT dept doin this on a regular basis.
    As in whenever theres a new user, do the copy paste dance.

Will have a look into doin this automatically via function.
  • ImprintPlusImprintPlus Member Posts: 1
    I have the same issue, using AD Groups for Windows logins. I don't want to do the labour intensive task to create then assign individual users to Navigation Pane.

Anyone come up with another work around?
    Has this been fixed in NAV 2009?

Ryan
  • klavinklavin Member Posts: 117
    As a temporary solution to make sure if anyone adds a new user that they start with a default "Blank" menu, I made a User Menu Level "BLANK" that has no menu's, and OnInsert() of the User Setup I copy the record into a new one for the new user so by default they have no menu's unless specified.

What you could do is pop-up a list at this point and have them select a user to copy, and copy their user menu level and insert it...

This is by no means a solution to the groups problem, but a possible workaround to eliminate some errors...

Kevin
    -Lavin
    "Profanity is the one language all programmers know best."
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I do wish it would work with AD groups as well. We have a whole process that gets run when a new employee joins the company, including setting up a windows login, assigning AD groups, granting access to certain applications, etc. Part of this is assigning menus in Navision. We perform routine audits of the users to make sure no one has access to information they shouldn't.

If you're worried about forgetting to remove menu access I would suggest following klavin's advice. A blank menu to start will help on two fronts: one in that anyone who actually gains access to Navision with that ID will not be able to navigate and two, anyone who is supposed to have access will complain that they can't do anything.