Buffer Problem

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
Dear concern
When I am posting Sales order Codeunit 80 will run and in this codeunit InventoryPostingBuffer,InvoicePostingBuffer and many postingbuffers table used, Can anyone explain me the uses and benefits of those(Buffer) tables.If microsoft will not use those(Buffer) tables then what will happen?Please explain me in detail.
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
    Don't know in details, but in general buffers are used for some processing during posting, usually some data grouping. For instance: let's say you have 4 lines on sales invoice. All are of type G/L, and 2 of them have even same No and VAT 20%. The other 2 lines have different No, one of them 15% VAT and the other 20 % VAT. After posting you will not have all 4 of these lines in G/l Entry but just unique 3, and in VAT Entry you will not have 4 lines but just unique 2. If you want to know about a certain buffer in details, you will have to analyse the code using it. However buffer tables must stay where they are :) and you mustn't change anything in them, otherwise you can brake the business logic very badly.
  • MallyMally Member Posts: 128
    Dear concern
    From where I can get the usage of PostingBuffer tables used in Codeunit 80 and 90 in details?
  • arcullarcull Member Posts: 191
    I don't think you'll find documentation on this subject. Maybe you better say what is, that you want to achieve using these buffers, so others can suggest you the solution.
  • MallyMally Member Posts: 128
    Dear concern
    Ya, vikram is right we r developers and we should know the uses of buffer table that r used in CU's.Anybody can explain in Detail.
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There isn't a document that's going to explain every line of Navision code to you. It's just like any other program that you'd modify: Other developers have worked on it and there's not great documentation (although it is pretty good for the most part).

Turn debugger on as well as breakpoint on triggers. Post some orders and step through the process. It will take several hours, but you should understand it much better when you are done. If you plan on doing Navision for a while this will be important skill to have, that is figuring out what huge bits of code are doing.