Item table, No. field & field length

jelittlejohnjelittlejohn Member Posts: 61
I have a client that is a reseller of products from many different suppliers and the Item numbers they deal with have become very long and I need to expand the "No." field in the item table. I was hoping that someone had already been through this and could post a list of all the other locations where this field must be changed (Sales Line, Sales Invoice Line, Purchase Line, etc). IF you don't have this information easily at hand, please disregard. If I don't have a response in the next couple of days, I will start working on it and will post my results. I'm sure I will be editing the post often as text overflow errors make themselves known. Thank you.
Jack Littlejohn
Clemson, SC

Comments

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I have a client that is a reseller of products from many different suppliers and the Item numbers they deal with have become very long and I need to expand the "No." field in the item table. I was hoping that someone had already been through this and could post a list of all the other locations where this field must be changed (Sales Line, Sales Invoice Line, Purchase Line, etc). IF you don't have this information easily at hand, please disregard. If I don't have a response in the next couple of days, I will start working on it and will post my results. I'm sure I will be editing the post often as text overflow errors make themselves known. Thank you.

I am not sure really how to answer this. It like someone asking for advice on how to stick their head in a fire. The best advice is to say "don't stick your head in the fire". But I am slowly starting to learn that some people need to feel the pain of being burnt to learn.

Good luck with this, and make sure to inform your client how much this is going to cost them over the next few years, and how much it will add to the cost of every upgrade they do.

PS my blog on this.
    David Singleton
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    I totally agree with David and probably everyone else does too. There are other ways to handle this..in fact I completely believe that item numbers should just be a simple seqencial number and has no business acting like the description of an item. There are so many other fields that can be used for that purpose.
    Description1, Description2, No.2, UPC Code, Vendor Item No., Your own new field, etc.

Just order entry alone would be a nightmare, every item would have to be put in thru lookup.
    Here's two of a hundred posts you might like to read:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28339
    viewtopic.php?t=23170