Family Setup & Understanding

ryanwhittakerryanwhittaker Member Posts: 6
So I have some detailed queries about the use of the Family structure with Dynamics NAV...

I have the following 3 simple items setup:
• Sheet Metal
• Circle
• Square

I have a Production BOM setup as follows:
• Metal BOM is made of 0.2 PCS of the Sheet Metal Item

This BOM is attached to both the Circle and the Square item.

I also setup a family (METAL) which specifies the following:
• 1PCS Circle
• 4 PCS Square

The idea as I understand this from the Help text is that when I specify my METAL family on a production order with a quantity of 1, I will get 2 prod. order lines which match the family setup. As I have defined the BOM in the way described above I would expect to require the following components:
• 0.2 x 1 = 0.2 PCS for the Circle prod. order line
• 0.2 x 4 = 0.8 PCS for the Square prod. order line

In total I would therefore expect to use 1 sheet of metal to produce my family. This would as the Help text in NAV suggests reduce my waste as I would not get any waste to produce my output (I know geometrically not possible, but please bear with me for simplicity sake).

So why when I look at the Expect Qty. on the component lines am I actually expecting to use 2 PCS of Sheet Metal?
Does anyone also know if the Family is used in Order Planning or the Planning Worksheet? For example can I get the Planning engine to suggest a Family production order when it sees demand for both circles and squares?

SOLVED - You need to set the rounding precision on the item!!! But any help on whether this can be used for planning would still be appreciated.

Answers

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Order planning as the name suggests is meant for planning against orders only. So in ur order if u have ur family it will show u both , u can't break as per part of family.

Same for planning worksheet only difference is here in addition to orders u can have planning based on Item Card settings also.

Yes it can be used in planning. In order planning just select Prod Order and u shud be good to go. :D
    Kapil Khanna
  • cernstcernst Member Posts: 280
    As far as I know familys isn't supported in planning you must create the family prod.orders manually.

I think this means
    As far as I know familys isn't supported in planning you must create the family prod.orders manually.
    Kapil Khanna