Client connect to Windows Server 2008

podollypodolly Member Posts: 84
Hi experts,

I get no problem in doing this on 2003, but still no clue for this on 2008 though I have read through the forum for this topic.

I have got a 2008 Std. server, and I install the NAV Database Server (5.0 Sp1). To have clients (also 5.0 Sp1) connect to it, we should run the schemaxt.exe to publish as service. For both choices, automically extend / LDIF script, it prompts me the below error.

I wonder what makes this error, and if anyone can guide me how to set this? I tried to set parameters and run the service, but error comes out for any parameter.

Thanks in advance.

Answers

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    You don't need to run schemaxt.exe. You can use nav without it.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • podollypodolly Member Posts: 84
    Hi both, thanks for the suggestions. After reading some posts, I have decided not to use the SchemaXt.exe to extend the service to AD. By following the manual, I tried to modify the SERVICES and HOST file on server, HOST file on client. I have started the service on server and can connect locally using TCP with the C/SIDE client installed. I then tried to make a connection from C/SIDE client on my laptop, this time it showed "TCP/IP error ETIMEDOUT". I ping from the laptop the database server name (which same as the server name indeed). No loss for the connection.

Did I miss anything? Thankful if any experts can help... :oops:
  • kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    You do not need to modify HOSTS or SERVICES if you have working DHCP + DNS (if you are able to resolve the server name to IP address) and you have installed the NAV DB Server on standard port.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
    kine is right, if you have a DNS Server (which knows the computers in his domain and translate the computername to an IP) you doesn't need to modify the host file. You need to modify the host file only, if you will connect to a other subnet and you wan't to go over the DNS because the DNS doens't know the other pcs that are not in his subnet. A DHCP is nice to have but not nessesary. In the must networks a DHCP exist, to make the configurations easy.

If you can't connect to the server from a client, check this also:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28371
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=28938

Regards
    Thanks for the reply kine and garak!!

I tried to restore the settings in HOST and SERVICES.
    Opened the port in Windows Firewall Exception.
    But still no help #-o
    Server is installed with DNS Server, AD (but no DHCP, we set the IP manually)
    And everytime I check to make sure TCP is using.
    Hi kine, just read a reply from you in another post about the server naming. My server name consists of a hyphen '-', will that be a problem?
    :P Finally I find that the links you provided are useful!!
    I forget to check the firewall setting on the server.
    After opening the port 2407, it works!

Again, great thanks to both of you! =D>
    no problem and welcome