Shows 'Carriage Return (Square box) at every line i copied

dave_kwokdave_kwok Member Posts: 8
When i copied something from Excel or word and paste it to any field in Navision. If there is a space in between, the field will shows me the Carriage Return symbol (Square box) at the end of the line.

Any idea?

Comments

• garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    edited 2009-07-29
    The reason is, that you copy wrong (u copy also the CR chars).

Try this in excel: Go to the Cell that you want to copy, press F2 and mark (black marked) the words, and copy&paste the words. It's the same when you copy the value directly from the "fx" field (the field where you can also see the formulas) in excel
    if this is "to heavy", you can also create a function on your comment card to remove these charakters (delchr).
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • dave_kwokdave_kwok Member Posts: 8
    Hi there,

Thanks for your advice. Actually it not only happened to the comment card. Any fields are the same.
  • Luc_VanDyckLuc_VanDyck Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 3,633
    Make sure you don't copy the value from the cell that contains the formatting. Use the value that is displayed above to copy into NAV.

No support using PM or e-mail - Please use this forum. BC TechDays 2024: 13 & 14 June 2024, Antwerp (Belgium)
  • ScottHScottH Member Posts: 2
    We have a somewhat related problem. Users copy text from emails by clicking at the beginning of a text string then dragging their cursor down to highlight the rest of the text. Copying this way also copies the carriage return or line feed characters. The users paste this information into text fields and, unlike copy and pasting cells from Excel, there is little visual indication of anything wrong. If anything, it looks like blank spaces after the characters. These characters can be trapped and removed from Code fields by a change to Codeunit 1 Application Management. This does not work for Text fields though.

NAV is used on top of SQL Server 2005 here. The practice described above results in carriage returns and line feeds (ASCII character 10 and 13) being stored in varchar fields in the database. This messes up Sql reporting service reports, data extracts to outside systems, and exports from screens.

Haven't found a good long term solution to prevent the entries. Thus far I've cleaned it up one issue at a time. Trying to train 350+ users across 14 locations or 7 countries has not worked in the slightest.
    Scott Hartman
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    heres a helpful download to remove these characters
    http://www.mibuso.com/dlinfo.asp?FileID=1011

there are more duscussions if you search for carriage return line feed
    here's one:
    viewtopic.php?f=23&t=32805
  • Marije_BrummelMarije_Brummel Member, Moderators Design Patterns Posts: 4,262
    And, it is solved in the new Role Tailored Client. 8)