Sales Tax Setup

JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
Hello all,

my question may look basic, I apologize about it.

We are a non-US based company with a subsidiary company in the US. We have to set up the Sales Tax granule in the US company. It is a version 4.0 SP1.

We have reviewed the Sales Tables (from 318 to 322) and have to fill them. The problem is that I don't know exactly what those fields and tables mean, so I don't know the data to write on them.

Does anyone know about a guide, or document, I could look at and clarify the concepts in the Sales Tax tables? Or a guide I could follow to set this granule up. Any help will be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

Josetxo

Comments

• themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    I have never seen a guide, I am end user, and set it up back in 1999, it hasn't really changed since then,

Table 320 - Tax jurisdiction - is the table that holds the lowest level of a tax. These are the actual tax jurisdictions in a state, so in California where I am at. if Alameda county imposes a special sales tax then they need a tax jurisdiction set up.

Table 322 - Tax Detail - is what that actual tax is for the special rate for Alamenda County only. so in my example say it is 1% and the code is "011"

Table 318 - Tax Area - is the table that holds the code that goes on the customer card, and it used to determine the tax rate charged. so for Alameda County, in California a customer is charged the Alamada county tax rate, plus the general state of California tax rate.

Table 319 - Tax Area Detail - holds the Jurisdiction codes that apply for Alameda County, which in my case is code 011 - Alameda County 1% and the General State of California Code "CA" which is 8.75%

if an indivual city within alameda county setup a special sales tax then they would need a jurisdiction set up, and a new tax area code setup, the new tax area code would have the three jurisdictions in it, the General State of California code, the Alameda county code, and the new city jurisdiction code.
  • SavatageSavatage Member Posts: 7,142
    First I assume you hit F1 for all the fields you have a question about.

Second (here how we have our setup as an example-Using New York)
    Table 318 Tax Area
    -Code (NYS) Description (New York State) Country (US)

Table 319 - Tax Area Line **Where we set up the different NY Counties**
    -Tax Area (NYS) Tax Jurisdiction Code (Bronx)
    -Tax Area (NYS) Tax Jurisdiction Code (Brooklyn)
    -Tax Area (NYS) Tax Jurisdiction Code (Queens)
    -Tax Area (NYS) Tax Jurisdiction Code (Nassau)
    -Tax Area (NYS) Tax Jurisdiction Code (Suffolk)

(I'll stick to suffolk at the point to keep is short)
    Table 320 - Tax Jurisdiction **This is where you select your g/l accounts**
    -Code (SUFFOLK) - Tax Account-Sales (21300) *or whatever your # is.

Table 322 - Tax Detail **Here you set the tax Percentage
    Tax Jurisdiction (SUFFOLK) - Tax Type (Sales Tax) - Tax Below & Above Maximum (8.625) <<That's percent tax.

Good Luck!
  • JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
    Hello Themave, Savatage,

many thanks for your fast answers and help. Now it is my turn to start workin on it.

Thank you!

Josetxo
  • JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
    Hello again,

I have set up the required fields in those tables. But still have a little doubt in the "Report-to jurisdiction" field in the Tax Jurisdictions table.

F1 does not help too much here. What should go there, the state the jurisidiction belongs to?

Thanks in advance,
    Josetxo
  • tameemabdullahtameemabdullah Member Posts: 17
    We have a similar scenario where our australian customer has a US entity that will be using the Australian NAV database. The Australian NAV database has the Tax Area, Tax Jurisdiction, Tax Groups, Tax Details Tables which look like they work fine from the sample documents I have made.

My question is do all US Nav companies have to import ALL the Tax Jurisdictions and Tax Areas for every single state and maintain them in the databases? How do they do this as I'm not finding any csv or any kind of tax rate tables that can be imported.
    I have found maybe 3 and all of them are in a different format.

Anyone have any suggestions or any hints as to how this is done in the US?

There are a few companies that offer some kind of integration to NAV that will work out the tax rates for you per transaction but these are a little bit pricey and surely everyone doesnt have to use this method?
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Would your US subsidiary know the answers to this, Ask their accountants.
  • tameemabdullahtameemabdullah Member Posts: 17
    The US Subsidiary is new to NAV, they are only going to start using NAV once we have set up the taxes for them. They have told us that they need to purchase and sell in all States.