Problem with reservation logic and bin

engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
Hi

I have this problem in Navision. I am on Navision version 5.1 SG. I am using the reservation logic as well as the Bin (With Directed Pick and Put-away)

The issue that I faced is that the users do not do a receipt and put-away on the same day. They do need to check the items before they put-away the items. This delay can be as much as a day or more. The thing is that the sales users are able to make reservation on the items even if it is in the receipt bin. They do not have any issue until in the warehouse shipment when they create a warehouse pick.

The user then get a surprise that the items reserved are not pickable because the put-away is not done.

I know that the reservation logic is not linked to the bins. Still it does not make sense to alert the user only when they are trying to create a pick that there is insufficient stocks.

Does any one have a walkround or a strategy to handle this?

Tan Eng Siong.

Comments

• kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    Have you tried Cross-Docking ? It may help u it create a put away for ur Sales Order.

It works like

Take(from receipt) Place (to Put), Take (from Put) , Place (In pick).
    Kapil Khanna
  • engsiong75engsiong75 Member Posts: 143
    Hi

Cross docking is not a fit because the issue is not with the stocks not being transferred to the correct customer. The issue is that the users will happily reserve the newly arrived stocks regardless of the actual stocks being moved to the pickable bins. They will then be surprised to find that they cannot generate a pick. The idea is not to generate a false pick because when the warehouse employee goes to the warehouse, he will not be able to pick the items any way.

Tan Eng Siong
  • JohnPJohnP Member Posts: 56
    Was going to make a comment but just realised that the problem I have is the result of a mod, not standard NAV. Sorry.
    Cheers
    John
  • FDickschatFDickschat Member Posts: 380
    In standard NAV I don't know of a way to overcome this problem. We modified the availability functions to take into account stock that has been received but not put away so that it can not be reserved / put into a warehouse shipment.
    Frank Dickschat
    FD Consulting
  • AndwianAndwian Member Posts: 627
    engsiong75 wrote:
    Does any one have a walkround or a strategy to handle this?
    It is by design. Just put-away it first.
    Regards,
    Andwian
  • Miklos_HollenderMiklos_Hollender Member Posts: 1,598
    Reservation does not mean the stock is available: even purchases can be reserved - it simply means that stock is "yours" when it will become available.

So your problem is not a reservation problem, it is rather partially a process problem and partially an information one: people doing picking need to be informed if the stock to be picked has been checked and put away. Actually there is a FlowField for that in the Item table, Qty. Available to Pick. Essentially in your case the stock that can be picked for an order is always the smaller figure of these two: Qty. Reserved and Qty. Availabe To Pick. You might need a customization to display it on the Warehouse Shipment or the Sales Order, or a report, or generally just think over what the picking process is and what is the best way to convey this information to the warehouse people considering the actual process and situation at hand...
  • LijoLijo Member Posts: 1
    Does any one have a walkround or a strategy to handle this issue?