Options

Navision Upgrade

kokyas963kokyas963 Member Posts: 16
edited 2010-06-15 in NAV Three Tier
Dear All,
what is the most important method to upgrade from nav 2.6 to nav 2009 ?
1: new install of nav 2009 + Data Migration of old database ( to use dataimport) OR
2: using upgrade toolkit + NDT

where is the difference and the difficulty between method 1 & 2 .
a need help please .
thanks.

Comments

• Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    It depends on whether you want your history and customization.

If you don't want either, then it's a reimplementation and not an upgrade.

If you want your history and customization follow step 3.

Step 3. Contact your NSC and let them upgrade your db properly.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    kokyas963kokyas963 Member Posts: 16
    Thanks for the help man :D
  • Options
    ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,255
    you are welcome. 8)
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • Options
    tanish_111tanish_111 Member Posts: 23
    i have installed nav 9 but how can i migrate data please suggest i want to migrate from nav 4 to nav 9 all my history and customization. all of my data .
  • Options
    RawHeatRawHeat Member Posts: 63
    you will have to upgrade the data and the objects.

for data upgrade u can download Local objects from the microsoft site. direct conversion from NAV 4 to nav 2009 is possible.

for objects upgrade u need to use toolkits like Develeper's toolkit, beyond compare or araxis.
    you would required standard database i.e database with no customization, client's database and nav 09 database for merging purpose.

it would be better if u read entire upgrade manual provided by microsoft.

all the best :D
  • Options
    tanish_111tanish_111 Member Posts: 23
    thanks for the reply. i will try to download the upgrade manual for the ms sites.
    thanks for the help.
  • Options
    andy76andy76 Member Posts: 616
    I have found the manual:

Quick Guide: Upgrading from Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0 to Microsoft Dynamics NAV 2009

of only 5 pages but don't find the entire manual.

In this Quick Guide there is a table with reference to another greater manual for each step:
    Example:

Manual reference: Chapter 2 pg 6-8

Where is it??

Thanks
  • Options
    BeliasBelias Member Posts: 2,998
    in the product cd, under [zip file]/UpgradeToolKit/Documents
    -Mirko-
    "Never memorize what you can easily find in a book".....Or Mibuso
    My Blog
  • Options
    I already search in product CD of version CH- Switzerland localization.
    I only have 3 quick guides of 5 pages and not the entire manual to which it refers.
    Could you send me that?

Thank you
  • Options
    andy76 wrote:
    Could you send me that?
    I don't know if i legally can...but in theW1 version the manual IS there...it's a pdf file of 60 pages, its name is Upgrade Toolkit Manual.pdf...i also found it in the IT60UpgradeToolkit.exe file (which is a packet of file to upgrade italian localization)

EDIT: this can be helpful,too (read also the last 2 comments)
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/nav/archive/2010/02/01/upgrade-toolkit-quick-guides-revised-for-microsoft-dynamics-nav-2009-sp1.aspx
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    I have the file Upgrade Toolkit Manual.pdf but didn't understand that quick guide referred to that.
    I am also searching a new version of it (read the post you suggested that it is not updated) on partnersource but not find it.

Do you have experience of upgrade from 4.0 sp3 to NAV 2009?

Thank you very much
  • Options
    just one (fortunately), but without data...thus, without upgrade toolkit :mrgreen:
    there are a lot of posts about the conversion in this forum...but keep in mind that every upgrade has its own story, due to different personalizations, different modules used etc...
    try this post, for example...http://www.mibuso.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=39283&hilit=upgrade+sp3+2009
    -Mirko-
    My Blog
  • Options
    Thank you for your explanation.

We have a customer having version 40 SP3 (db native/proprietor not SQL) and would like a quotation/offer to upgrade to 2009 (classic).

I ask you:
    - to migrate directly from 40SP3 to 2009 is riskious or is it better/simpler migrate in a first step to NAV 5.0?
    - how much time is neeeded (about 100 objects modified or new)? More or less?

Thank you
  • Options
    is harder/more risky to do a 2 step uprade, when you can do it in one go...definitely go for the one-step-only upgrade (there is the proper toolkit from data migration from 4.0 version to 2009, you should have it).
    i can't answer to your second question, because i don't know a lot of things about your customer and your modification. moreover i'm not experienced with quotations, i'm just a developer...and development it's only one of the parts of the work...
    Probably there's someone more appropriate to give you a hint, but i don't think that anyone here will answer without more info on customizations and db stats like how big it is, if it can be offline for some time etc....
    -Mirko-
    My Blog