Options

License for RTC/ without RTC

navuser1navuser1 Member Posts: 1,329
edited 2009-08-13 in NAV Three Tier
Dear all,

Is It possible that somebody can purchase NAV2009 License with RTC or without RTC ?
Please reply ? [-o<
Now or Never

Comments

• Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    RTC license comes with Dynamics NAV Server and you need to purchase that granule if you want to use it. In case you don't purchase the same, you can continue to use the classic client (NAV DB and SQL Server option).
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    ssingla wrote:
    RTC license comes with Dynamics NAV Server and you need to purchase that granule if you want to use it. In case you don't purchase the same, you can continue to use the classic client (NAV DB and SQL Server option).

Thanks Sandeep.
    Now or Never
  • Options
    What is the Granule Id of Dynamics NAV Server ?
    Now or Never
  • Options
    ssinglassingla Member Posts: 2,973
    CA Sandeep Singla
    http://ssdynamics.co.in
  • Options
    rsaritzkyrsaritzky Member Posts: 469
    Does anyone know if I have a client who has been on the "Enhancement Plan" continuously must PURCHASE granule 9100 if they want to use the Role Tailored Client? I thought the Enhancement Plan included all version upgrades. If this additional granule purchase is required, does anyone have a document that says this in writing that they can refer me to?

Ron
    Ron
  • Options
    kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    I don't have document but yeah even if client has enhancement plan active they need to purchase this separately. We got into this issue just few days back.
    Kapil Khanna
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    rsaritzky wrote:
    Does anyone know if I have a client who has been on the "Enhancement Plan" continuously must PURCHASE granule 9100 if they want to use the Role Tailored Client? I thought the Enhancement Plan included all version upgrades. If this additional granule purchase is required, does anyone have a document that says this in writing that they can refer me to?

Ron

Enhancement plan and the Business Ready Licensing model are 2 completely different things. My guess is that your client is still on module based licensing..
  • Options
    You are correct. The Enhancement Plan can apply to any type of license - the "Business Ready Enhancement Plan" applies to Business Ready Licenses, while the plain old "Enhancement Plan" applies to other licenses, e.g. module-based license. My client has chosen not to convert to BRL.

I did finally find an FAQ document that states that granule 9100 must be purchased by legacy clients if they want to run the RTC - but no announcement to the general user community about this (my client is upset about having to buy another granule):

https://mbs.microsoft.com/downloads/par ... _Nov08.pdf
    Ron
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    There's nothing stopping them from upgrading to NAV 2009. They can do so and use the classic client. The customer wants to take advantage of a new feature. New features have to be paid for. Seems straight forward to me. And it's not granule 9100 costs a lot ($500/ea).

Now DCO licensing is another story :lol:
  • Options
    I know it's not a lot, but to me, a "client" is a "client" and, in my opinion, legacy users should be grandfathered in if they've been on the "Enhancement" plan under the same conditions as the "classic" client, e.g. local users. I'm not talking about DCO licenses, just using the RTC for local access the same as the "classic" client.

What happens when they release NAV2010 and if the "classic" client disappears? Will they now grant a license for the "replacement" to the "classic" client? (By the way, I'm not saying classic client WILL disappear in NAV2010 - just saying that some time in the future it will probably go away.)

Ron
    Ron
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I'll admit I was also surprised when I learned that we had to pay for the RTC. But once I really thought about it made sense.

We're also on module based licensing. Any new granule costs money so it makes sense that 9100 would as well.

Completely understand where you're coming from, though.
  • Options
    Yes, but why is RTC a new "granule" at all? RTC is just exposing the business logic through a different client. I'm all for innovation, but we PAY for it by staying on enhancement plan.

Ron
    Ron
  • Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    rsaritzky wrote:
    Yes, but why is RTC a new "granule" at all? RTC is just exposing the business logic through a different client. I'm all for innovation, but we PAY for it by staying on enhancement plan.

Ron
    Because they can. MS priority is new customers not existing customers.
  • Options
    Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    rsaritzky wrote:

Ron

That's why Microsoft is pushing the current MBL customers to upgrade to BRL. With BRL, you automatically receive the new granules as they become available.
  • Options
    genericgeneric Member Posts: 511
    Isn't BRL per user more expensive?