Problem in Navision

vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
I m using Nav 4.0 we have Native server and about 8 users.Whenever I start Navision or do anything it gives me an error given below:

The O.S returned the error (183):
Cannot create a file when this file ALREADY EXISTS.

I have to restart the server to resolve it, then after some time agian this problem comes.
Vikram Dabas
Navision Technical Consultant

Comments

• matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Have you checked the event log to get more details?
  • jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 1,000
    Interesting to see you actually answered someone post before about the same issue..

The suggested remedy was to restart your pc.
    Clear out temporary files

Resolution from MS is below

https://mbs.microsoft.com/knowledgebase ... tuowxrysns

SYMPTOMS
    When you try to log on to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV client or to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV native database server, you receive the following error message:
    The operating system returned the error (183):
    Cannot create a file when that file already exists.
    Note Error 183 is a standard operating system error message.

This problem occurs in the following products: • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0 Service Pack 1
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 5.0
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0 Service Pack 3
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0 Service Pack 2
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0 Service Pack 1
    • Microsoft Dynamics NAV 4.0
    • Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision 3.7

CAUSE
    This problem occurs because Microsoft Dynamics NAV creates temporary files when you start Microsoft Dynamics NAV. However, the temporary files cannot be stored if one of the following conditions is true: • Antivirus software or a security program is running on the database files.
    • Backup software is running at the same time as the Microsoft Dynamics NAV native database server.

RESOLUTION
    To resolve this problem, use one or more of the following methods: • Restart the Microsoft Dynamics NAV database server.
    • Make sure that no antivirus software and no security program is running on the directory in which the database files are located.
    • Stop the Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server service. Next, delete all "_TEMP_.*" files in the installation folder of the Microsoft Dynamics NAV server. Then, restart Microsoft Dynamics NAV.

Note Make sure that you have deleted all .dmp files.
    • Grant the Full Read permission and the Full Write permission to the Microsoft Dynamics NAV user on the installation folder of Microsoft Dynamics NAV and on the document settings folder in which the .zup file is stored.

Note Microsoft Dynamics NAV creates temporary files into these folders.

Delete the .zup file and all" _TEMP_.*" files in these folders. Then, restart Microsoft Dynamics NAV.
  • vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    Dear concern
    Where I will get this Installation folder and which files I have to delete?
    Vikram Dabas
    You mean a NAV technical consultant doesn't know where the server installation folder is stored :shock:

Its usually as such C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-Navision\Database Server>

read the instructions again it tells you what to delete
  • vikram7_dabasvikram7_dabas Member Posts: 611
    Dear Concern
    I have installed navision Database server, but i didnt find any Installation folder in C:\Program Files\Microsoft Business Solutions-navison\Database server and then there is no Installation named folder.I didnt find any Installation folder there.
    Vikram Dabas
    Ok open your client for the database and look to where it is finding the database for the server it should be in the same place
  • Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
    Hi mibuso help team :D !

Has anybody got an update to this 183 error!

Am running on 2009 R2 standalone client (not sql) and when my my database clashes and I go back in again - am plagued with this error 183! I know that rebooting will resolve it but it takes so long to start up my pc! Is there a quicker route?

Tried...

Deleted the .zup file and all" _TEMP_.*" in the TempFilePath.
    No idea what .dmp files as my Windows 7 (64bit) explorer finds no such files!

But still have the 183 error!

Thanks for your help as always :lol: !
    Big D signing off!
  • Big_DBig_D Member Posts: 207
    Think I have found the solution to my err at last (or at least it worked for me \:D/ !)

http://dynamicsuser.net/forums/p/15220/ ... spx#261453

Come out of your Navision version totally and check Windows Task Manager - Kill off any open versions of Slave.exe =D> !

Until next time
    Big D signing off!