When To Setup User Rights In The Course Of A Project?

kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
Hello All,

My question, as the title suggests, is when to setup the user rights for forms, report, etc. Should we setup the user rights before a project starts, or should we do it after all the customizations have been throughly tested and we are ready to deliver it to the customer?

According to me the latter will be more advantageous, as we will have all the customizations in place. So, while running through the user rights setup, the rights will be calculated based on the customizations too (a new table was referred via an insert/update in a particular form, etc.)

What do you all think about this process? This is the MOST tedious process in the whole of NAV. Also, recommendations for tools/process for doing the same will be appreciated.

As a side note, we are using NAV 2009.
Thanks,
Kirtan.

Answers

• David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Personally I would prefer to do it when you first begin testing with the users. Its crazy to waste that testing. After everything is working and tested, users only do delta testing, i.e. test changes to the change. So at Go-Live day you have lots of permission errors.
    David Singleton
  • Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    Agree with David.

I would have it up before the first training. As the live date approaches, other tasks will pile on. It's always better to get as much done as possible before the live date.
  • Ravi_ThakkarRavi_Thakkar Member Posts: 392
    According to my experience regarding USER RIGHTS SETUP,
    (Mainly the purpose of User Rights setup is not to allocate certain objects to particular user, but to Block the user to access certain Objects)

1) At the stage of starting of project i.e. before the customization completion, generally client is not ready with the User Accesses. I mean, which user will do what. (In NAV) (If ready then after seeing the system, they can be vary)

2) We will not have all the forms or Reports or codeunits ready to be allocated to the user.
    So, after completion of customization, we will agin have to test User Rights and allocate newly allocated objects' user rights.

3) First of all, allocate all the objects to all users. Then after only client will be able to prepare the User Rights template for each user, about which user should be blocked to which objects.

After all, I will suggest we should do the User Rights Setup after completion of all the customization and testing.
    Ravi_Thakkar
    Ahmedabad, Gujarat, India
    E Mail : ravi.thakkar@hotmail.com
  • kapil4dynamicskapil4dynamics Member Posts: 591
    According to my experience regarding USER RIGHTS SETUP,
    (Mainly the purpose of User Rights setup is not to allocate certain objects to particular user, but to Block the user to access certain Objects)

1) At the stage of starting of project i.e. before the customization completion, generally client is not ready with the User Accesses. I mean, which user will do what. (In NAV) (If ready then after seeing the system, they can be vary)

2) We will not have all the forms or Reports or codeunits ready to be allocated to the user.
    So, after completion of customization, we will agin have to test User Rights and allocate newly allocated objects' user rights.

3) First of all, allocate all the objects to all users. Then after only client will be able to prepare the User Rights template for each user, about which user should be blocked to which objects.

After all, I will suggest we should do the User Rights Setup after completion of all the customization and testing.

This way the purpose of UAT (in which you play a big role as well) will fail as i never met any client in which client's project manager said make all of them super user even during testing as they want to know how permissions are working, because they know next time after going live, users will say to there PM "Sun of a gun (the way it is said,) i can't see this now, earlier i used to" . :mrgreen:
    Kapil Khanna
    Yes. That's right.
    But, at the development time, even developers also are not aware with the objects expected to be used in Coding or any specific object itself.
    So, if user rights are setup in advance then also you will have to change them accordingly for new objects and objects used in those objects.
    Means again the same task. :whistle:
    Ravi_Thakkar
    ... even developers also are not aware with the objects expected to be used in Coding or any specific object itself. ...

:shock:
    David Singleton
    ... even developers also are not aware with the objects expected to be used in Coding or any specific object itself. ...

:shock:
    If you are assigned to develop any From then at that time you will not be aware in prior with which code units to be developed newly in between to satisfy those requirements.
    How can you assign the objects to the user which are not developed yet....
    Ravi_Thakkar
  • DenSterDenSter Member Posts: 8,305
    How can you assign the objects to the user which are not developed yet....
    It's called design :-k
  • matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    Yeah, assigning / checking permissions should be a task on most modifications. Just as you test new code with the customer's license you should also test using the customer's roles, not SUPER or SUPER (DATA). It might be a pain, but if you're going to build something, build it and test it right.
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!

• kirtangorkirtangor Member Posts: 65
    Hi Alain, I had posted this question in NAV 2009 forum, because I am using NAV 2009; I have also mentioned it in the question.
    Thanks,
    Kirtan.
    kirtangor wrote:
    Hi Alain, I had posted this question in NAV 2009 forum, because I am using NAV 2009; I have also mentioned it in the question.
    Yes, but you are NOT talking about the RTC, but only about object permissions. This is a NAV/Navision topic.
    The NAV2009 forum is only for NAV2009 technology questions. We changed the definition of the forum some time ago to make it more logical.
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:
    Yes, but you are NOT talking about the RTC, but only about object permissions. This is a NAV/Navision topic.
    The NAV2009 forum is only for NAV2009 technology questions. We changed the definition of the forum some time ago to make it more logical.

Hmmm...
    NAV/Navision
    Version >= 3.70 and <= 5.0 SP1
    Discuss all NAV topics here (both functional/technical).

So where do we post questions about Navision versions greater than 5.0 SP1 :-k
    David Singleton
    In NAV/Navision (but Luc has to update the description) :whistle: .
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

kriki wrote:

So in all fairness to kirtangor he did post in what appeared to be the correct forum.
    David Singleton
    kriki wrote:

So in all fairness to kirtangor he did post in what appeared to be the correct forum.
    And also a lot of others. With this I understood why I have to move so many topics.....
    Regards,Alain Krikilion

• search1110search1110 Member, No Posting Permissions Posts: 19
    Personally I would prefer to do it when you first begin testing with the users. Its crazy to waste that testing. After everything is working and tested, users only do delta testing, i.e. test changes to the change. So at Go-Live day you have lots of permission errors.
    Of course you WOULD prefer, NOT just prefer. Would means IF you had experience, IF you worked with Navision. But you are not working and never did. Once more STOP giving the people your dumb opinions Dave Shitlton