Deleting old POs

b2amolb2amol Member Posts: 64
Hi,

I have a few old PO's - (from last financial year or even before). Which have 'Qty Received not invoiced' in them, that makes it impossible to delete them. I cannot reverse the receipts since that function works only for items; my PO's are booked on GL accounts directly. Correcting entries cannot be posted since posting dates have already moved to current period.
Is there some way to get rid of the old PO's from the system?

Amol

Comments

• Alex_ChowAlex_Chow Member Posts: 5,063
    1. Post the invoice at the cost it should be
    2. Reverse the invoice that you made using the G/L account.
    3. Run Adjust Cost.

DO NOT DELETE THE POs!!!
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    I generally look at this differently.

if the vendor ships you goods which you receive and then the vendor never sends you an invoice. The effect is that you received these goods at zero cost. Therefor my suggestion is to set the cost to zero and post then adjust.

Of course there are also scenarios where I would do it Alex's way, but it really depends on the scenario, and more often than no its a case where the vendor some how forgot to invoice the goods. Of course the proper solution is to call the vendor and ask them to send you an invoice, but I know many companies are reluctant to do that.
    David Singleton
  • garakgarak Member Posts: 3,263
    b2amol wrote:
    Hi,

I have a few old PO's - (from last financial year or even before). Which have 'Qty Received not invoiced' in them, that makes it impossible to delete them. I cannot reverse the receipts since that function works only for items; my PO's are booked on GL accounts directly.
    Amol

<-- I understood it so, that he post G/L account and not an item. so he doesn't need to run the Adjust cost.
    if it is really so, that you post the Received of an G/L Account, then is nothing happend. Only a Receipt Document is created.
    So, to port the invoice for this G/L account, set the direct unit cost to zero if it 0. the result is an G/L Entry with amount 0.

Regards
    Do you make it right, it works too!
  • matpodmatpod Member Posts: 16
    To keep an audit trial of what you have done, you could always add an additional line to the PO with a negative quantity and negative amount to contra the balances on the original PO line. Receipt this and then post. The resultant invoice will be for a zero amount.

I would use this method only for keeping a record of what I did, as the previous answer is just as valid and creates less accounting entries.
    if the vendor ships you goods which you receive and then the vendor never sends you an invoice. The effect is that you received these goods at zero cost. Therefor my suggestion is to set the cost to zero and post then adjust.

But this will mess up the average cost for the item within that period. COGS will be affected as well.
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    Alex Chow wrote:

But this will mess up the average cost for the item within that period. COGS will be affected as well.

Yes I agree, and that's why I say everycase needs to be evaluated according to the business need and not the "Navision" need.

The thing is that if I receive 100 Items at $50.00 and then get another 20 for free, then is the average cost:

a. (100*$50.00 + 20*$50.00) / 120 = $50.00 or
    b. (100*$50.00 + 20*$0.00) / 120 = $41.67

In fact I think all the suggestions above are correct depending on the circumstances.

BTW, yes I reallize the OP was asking about GL, but this is all still sort of relevant.
    David Singleton
  • themavethemave Member Posts: 1,058
    Alex Chow wrote:

No it won't, you got items for Zero, therefore it should adjust your average cost. But in this case it is a g/l account. We do what was suggested above, make a negative line. with an explanation
    themave wrote:
    No it won't, you got items for Zero, therefore it should adjust your average cost. But in this case it is a g/l account. We do what was suggested above, make a negative line. with an explanation

The original user stated that he invoiced the POs using G/L. So he didn't receive it for zero. The adjusting entries should reflect what the cost the item was suppose to be invoiced at. Or else the margin reports will look very funky.

In addition, when you run adjust cost for the current period, you'll see a huge adjustment to your COGS (depending on the amount of your PO).
  • b2amolb2amol Member Posts: 64
    Thank you guys,

This forum is a great help. In my case, i posted negative quantities with notes & it worked quite well.

regards,

Amol