Optimal VPN connection speed for NAV 2009

abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
Dear All,

Can you please tell me about the optimal connection speed in order to connect to NAV 2009 through TS or Remote desktop.

Thanks in Advance.
Ahmad Bani Naser
Dynamics NAV Developer

Comments

• ara3nara3n Member Posts: 9,256
    1 gig network would be optimal with low latency.

I've seen clients who had 10 meg networks and using nav. It slow but it works. The users were noticing the performance when they were running long processing jobs.

I am guessing with VPN, the users are remote, and it would be better to use remote desktop/RDP or citrix.
    Ahmed Rashed Amini
    Independent Consultant/Developer

blog: https://dynamicsuser.net/nav/b/ara3n
  • JosetxoJosetxo Member Posts: 92
    Hello,

one of the key points here is the maximum upload speed you can get for your VPN in the server side, and the current load on it.
    It depends on the number of simultaneous VPN users. The client side should not be a problem (a home DSL line or even a 3G card works good, if the server side is working good as well).
    I highly recommend Citrix instead of TS2003 (do not know enough about TS2008)... but it is more expensive!

Regards,
    Josetxo
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    abnainas wrote:
    Dear All,

Can you please tell me about the optimal connection speed in order to connect to NAV 2009 through TS or Remote desktop.

Thanks in Advance.

I see that you already realize the need for Terminal Services, and this is good. I assume since its new then its on win2008 which is much better than 2003 for TS.

This is a complex question to answer, since there are just too many factors to calculate. Obviously the most important factor is the number of users, but it is important to note that the less users you have, then proportionately you need MORE bandwidth per user. So for example, for one user you really want to have about 256k for a good connection, yet on a 1 meg connection you can comfortably connect 15-20 users. This is because even one user by them self expects a certain response time. But say I open a sales order and it take 1 second to open on a 256k line, then 20 people opening the same form are very unlikely to do it at the same time. So it don't need 4meg to get the same performance.

Also look at how you use Navision and you will see that you open a form then look read stuff then take an action. Whilst looking at the screen, you are not using band width.

Of course you still need to look at printing.

So you need to test one user by them selves printing and doing all their work, and see what it comfortable. Then remember that you don;t need that much bandwidth for the next user. So you might create a table like:

Users - BW - BW/User

1 - 256 - 256
    2 - 350 - 175
    10 - 600 - 60
    20 - 1meg - 50
    50 - 2 meg - 40
    and from here on it might get more linear

but I made those number up, and you need to do your own calculations.

Also if you have lower bandwidth then Citrix can better manage more users. Once you have over 2 meg bandwidth then you wont see much difference between Citrix and TS 2008 except in printing.
    David Singleton
  • abnainasabnainas Member Posts: 174
    Dear David Singleton,

Thanks alot for your reply.

Best Regards,
    Ahmad Bani Naser
    Dynamics NAV Developer
  • David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    You are welcome, I hope it helps.
    David Singleton
  • krikikriki Member, Moderator Posts: 9,110
    [Topic moved from 'NAV 2009' forum to 'NAV/Navision' forum]
    Regards,Alain Krikilion
    No PM,please use the forum. || May the <SOLVED>-attribute be in your title!