Options

Database Login Password in SQL

NaviDevNaviDev Member Posts: 365
Hello All,

When using the SQL database the Database Login password is located in the SQL database and cannot initially put a password in the native client, but I know it can be change. My question is how can I retrieve the encrypted password? I already tried using the User table to retrieve, but the password is not located there. :?
Navision noob....

Comments

• Options
    jannestigjannestig Member Posts: 999
    Did you try inserting a password in the User field instead ?
  • Options
    Hello jannestig,

I think you get me wrong... I just want to retrieved the login password, but I am using SQL database. I also want to know where it is stored? Thanks.
    Navision noob....
  • Options
    matteo_montanarimatteo_montanari Member Posts: 189
    NaviDev wrote:
    Hello jannestig,

I think you get me wrong... I just want to retrieved the login password, but I am using SQL database. I also want to know where it is stored? Thanks.

Hi

On SQL, the login authentication is on SQL Server, not in Navision.
    When a user login on Navision, his informations are validated by SQLServer.
    Navision apply only permission roles.

Bye

Matteo
    Reno Sistemi Navision Developer
  • Options
    Hello Eto,

Yes, I know navision do it that way. But what I want to do is just retrieve the user account passwords. Is there any repository tables for the passwords when using the SQL? Thanks.
    Navision noob....
  • Options
    mihail_kolevmihail_kolev Member Posts: 379
    There is no way to retrive it. And who know why do you need somebody's password... Just ask for it..
    -Mihail- [MCTS]
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    You can't retrieve SQL passwords (I mean original password text).

However you can retrieve password hash, and then use it for example to transfer password to different user, on the same or different SQL Server

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    @mihail_kolev
    Thanks for the opinion. But I dont want to retrieve the "real password", what I only want is the decrypted(hash).

@Slawek
    Hello sir, can you share how can I retrieve the password hash? Thanks..
    Navision noob....
  • Options
    David_SingletonDavid_Singleton Member Posts: 5,479
    NaviDev wrote:
    Hello All,

When using the SQL database the Database Login password is located in the SQL database and cannot initially put a password in the native client, but I know it can be change. My question is how can I retrieve the encrypted password? I already tried using the User table to retrieve, but the password is not located there. :?

There is no reason for you to need to know the users passwords, you should not even ask them their passwords. What ever you are doing, it is wrong.
    David Singleton
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    SQL passwords, encrypted, in binary format, are stored in sys.syslogin table in master database, so if you need to retrieve them just execute:

SELECT [name], [password] FROM sys.syslogin (I assumed that you're using SQL2005)

However they are unusable in binary format, if you need them for moving passwords between SQL Servers.

Microsoft published an article How to transfer the logins and the passwords between instances of SQL Server 2005, which also includes some T-SQL code, which might be helpful for you.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03