Options

Permission Issues

SABELASABELA Member Posts: 26
Hi Everybody,

I have changed the location of the log file by deattaching a particular database, moving the log file and re-attaching it through SQL. For some reason a particular user can't access Navision even though I have fully synchronised the users. Has anyone ever faced such a problem?

Comments

• Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    100% sure your probem with single user not having acces to db is NOT related to database log file location.

Search somewhere else.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    sabzamsabzam Member Posts: 1,149
    Well that's what I though but I can't explain how it came out that it was just a single user. This has happened twice with two different databases.
  • Options
    Slawek_GuzekSlawek_Guzek Member Posts: 1,690
    Check if your database user is linked to SQL Server login. Perhaps detaching and attaching database broke this link, however this should never happened. If you've moved mdf file between disks it might get broken, but if you've moved ldf file only nothing changes in the database.

Regards,
    Slawek
    Slawek Guzek
    Dynamics NAV, MS SQL Server, Wherescape RED;
    PRINCE2 Practitioner - License GR657010572SG
    GDPR Certified Data Protection Officer - PECB License DPCDPO1025070-2018-03
  • Options
    bbrownbbrown Member Posts: 3,268
    A little tip:

You don't need to deattach a database to relocated a log file. Just create the new file and use SHRINKFILE (with EMPTYFILE) to relocate the data. Then remove the original file using "ALTER DATABASE".

The EMPTYFILE option migrates that file's datas to other files in the same filegroup. This can also be used with data files but is not always the best option there. With a 1 to 1 move of a data file it may be faster to just move the file. But it can be useful when changing the number of files in the group.
    There are no bugs - only undocumented features.