Options

RTC client not running

aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
edited 2009-07-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hi All
I have installed NAV 2009 on win 2K3 sp2.
All the 3 options i.e RTC ,classic client and SQL server are running fine on this computer.

When I try to connect another machine to this NAV server only 2 options are running.RTC is not running.
Do I need to specify some special user permissions for it.
NOTE: Both the machines have different domains and both are on WIN 2K3.

Pl. suggest something

Comments

• Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    I suggest to read MSDN documentation about installing NAV 2009 on more PCs. There are something named SPN you need to set. And in multi-domain environment it could be more complex.
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.
  • Options
    alexpeckalexpeck Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 37
    If SQL Server and the NAV service tier are installed on the same machine in domain A, and the client resides in domain B, then this scenario will work once you have configured domain B to trust domain A (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961481.aspx). Active directory delegation and an SPN are not required.

If SQL Server and NAV are on seperate boxes in domain A, things get more complicated. I have not personally tested this scenario, but believe it will work. You must configure delegation and an SPN in domain A, as described in the walkthrough (in the NAV documentation). Since the client is in domain B, it will attempt to obtain a service ticket for NAV in domain B. Domain B doesn't know about the delegation and SPN in domain A. You must therefore configure domain B to route ticket requests for NAV to domain A.

This then becomes a question about cross domain kerberos authentication rather than NAV specifically. If this is what you need to do, I would post a question at http://serverfault.com.

Alex
  • Options
    kine wrote:
    I suggest to read MSDN documentation about installing NAV 2009 on more PCs. There are something named SPN you need to set. And in multi-domain environment it could be more complex.

I appreciate your suggestion Kine but I suppose that SPN funda is applicable when all the 3 tiers are on different machines.
  • Options
    alexpeck wrote:
    If SQL Server and the NAV service tier are installed on the same machine in domain A, and the client resides in domain B, then this scenario will work once you have configured domain B to trust domain A (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc961481.aspx). Active directory delegation and an SPN are not required.

If SQL Server and NAV are on seperate boxes in domain A, things get more complicated. I have not personally tested this scenario, but believe it will work. You must configure delegation and an SPN in domain A, as described in the walkthrough (in the NAV documentation). Since the client is in domain B, it will attempt to obtain a service ticket for NAV in domain B. Domain B doesn't know about the delegation and SPN in domain A. You must therefore configure domain B to route ticket requests for NAV to domain A.

This then becomes a question about cross domain kerberos authentication rather than NAV specifically. If this is what you need to do, I would post a question at http://serverfault.com.

Alex

Thanx for your help.It was a useful information but I fear that the case till now is that only client is on a different domain and it's not working but I am trying to make all the machines in the same domain .
    Also, I am making the PC on which NAV server & SQL is installed, a Domain Controller.
    I think it will work.
  • Options
    kinekine Member Posts: 12,562
    aliennav wrote:
    kine wrote:

I appreciate your suggestion Kine but I suppose that SPN funda is applicable when all the 3 tiers are on different machines.

The problem is the different domain... as Alex described...
    Kamil Sacek
    MVP - Dynamics NAV
    My BLOG
    NAVERTICA a.s.