Options

Switch to Specific SN tracking

errorhandlererrorhandler Member Posts: 22
One of my customers currently uses non-specific SN tracking, with FIFO costing, now wishes to make the switch for those items, to Specific SN tracking. [-X

I know that it is not possible to activate the Specific option on the Item Tracking Code card, once posts exists for one of the underlying items.
I guess that probably my only option will be to create new items with the new, specific tracking code. But that option has been rejected by the customer.

Is it an option to modify the Specific SN tracking option via code, simultaneously moving the items to Specific costing ? What problems will i be facing then??

Is there another option that i have overlooked?
Thanks for your insights in this!

*edited for typos*
I may not be totally perfect, but parts of me are excellent.

Comments

• Options
    Marco_FerrariMarco_Ferrari Member Posts: 53
    Hi the problem in switching the Costing Method by code is in the cost evaluation. I think that you will have so many problems in the future in forcing the costing method. If you don't have choice, be sure that the inventory is 0 and then before doing in the real database, make some tests: force the costing method and then try to run the item cost batch in order to control that it works after your change.
    Marco Ferrari
    Microsoft Certified Trainer
    Cronus.it
  • Options
    matttraxmatttrax Member Posts: 2,309
    I'm no costing expert, but I would think if you sold / negative adjusted the inventory, ran adjust cost and changed to specific, then purchased / positive adjusted the inventory that it would work out.

I did this once very early on in an implementation. They were already serializing their inventory and had misunderstood the difference between Standard and Specific (somehow). It worked out ok, but was a real pain even with a small amount of inventory (700 pieces or so).