RTC on client machine

aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
edited 2009-07-13 in NAV Three Tier
Hi
I have installed NAV 2009 successfully .
NAV 2009 Classic, NAV 2009 SQL Server and RTC , all are running on the system on which I have installed the server.

Native client and SQL server option are running on the client machine.
RTC is not running on the client machine.
I know that some settings have to be done onb the client machine but unaware of those.
Kindly guide me through this.
Thanx in advance.

Comments

• aliennavaliennav Member Posts: 449
    Both the machines i.e. Server and client are using WIN server 2003 enterprise edition.
  • FranklinFranklin Member Posts: 253
    aliennav...

What dou you have configurated in the CustomSettings.config??

And i suppose you are using windows authentication...
    For Classic client as well as for SQL client I am using database authentication .
    In ClientUserSettings.Config file (which was in local settings), I just changed the line:
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="NAVSERVER"></add>

I added NAV server in this.Previously there was Dynamics NAV.
    aliennav wrote:
    For Classic client as well as for SQL client I am using database authentication .
    In ClientUserSettings.Config file (which was in local settings), I just changed the line:
    <add key="ServerInstance" value="NAVSERVER"></add>

I added NAV server in this.Previously there was Dynamics NAV.

NAVSERVER is the name of the computer on which server is installed as well as the instance name of the server.
    RTC is not picking up the server.
    Can anyone please tell me what might be the problem??
    aliennav wrote:
    RTC is not picking up the server.
    Can anyone please tell me what might be the problem??

This is the event log I am getting:

Type: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Types.NavServerNotFoundException
    SuppressMessage: False
    FatalityScope: None
    Message: A server was not found at "net.[url=tcp://navserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service]tcp://navserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service[/url]". Either the URL is incorrect or the server is currently not available.
    StackTrace:
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection.OpenConnectionInternal(ConnectFailedEventArgs connectFailedArg)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection.OpenConnection()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.FormBuilder.BuilderSession.Initialize()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.UISession.Initialize()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.Windows.ClientSessionBase.SetupUISession()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Framework.UI.Windows.ClientSessionBase.Init()
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.Program.MainCore(String[] args)
    at Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)
    Source: Microsoft.Dynamics.Nav.Client.ServiceConnection
    Type: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException
    ErrorCode: 11001
    SocketErrorCode: HostNotFound
    NativeErrorCode: 11001
    StackTrace:
    at System.Net.Dns.GetAddrInfo(String name)
    at System.Net.Dns.InternalGetHostByName(String hostName, Boolean includeIPv6)
    at System.Net.Dns.GetHostEntry(String hostNameOrAddress)
    at System.ServiceModel.Channels.DnsCache.Resolve(String hostName)
    Source: System

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
  • alexpeckalexpeck Member, Microsoft Employee Posts: 37
    First check that the NAV server service has started correctly. On the service tier machine check for a service called Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server. If it's not running, or won't start check the event log.

If you changed the instance name in the config file, then I don't think your connection string will work (navserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service). Either try:
    • Changing the instance name back to DynamicsNAV in the config file
    • Connect using the string "navserver:7046/NAVSERVER/Service" in the RTC connection dialog

The role tailored client does not support database authentication. Using C/SIDE, make sure the windows user logged in when attempting to use RTC has a Windows Login synchronised with the SUPER role.

Alex
    alexpeck wrote:
    First check that the NAV server service has started correctly. On the service tier machine check for a service called Microsoft Dynamics NAV Server. If it's not running, or won't start check the event log.

If you changed the instance name in the config file, then I don't think your connection string will work (navserver:7046/DynamicsNAV/Service). Either try:
    • Changing the instance name back to DynamicsNAV in the config file
    • Connect using the string "navserver:7046/NAVSERVER/Service" in the RTC connection dialog

The role tailored client does not support database authentication. Using C/SIDE, make sure the windows user logged in when attempting to use RTC has a Windows Login synchronised with the SUPER role.

Alex

Alex, Thanx for your help.
    I'll definitely try this.